First track recorded together as a band......need some feedback!

schismatic

Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
Evening all,

Just finished mixing the first track my new band has put together for an upcoming EP and I'm looking for some general feedback on it.......you know the drill!

Thoughts on both the mix, the playing and the song itself would be good. At my end it sounds fairly balanced, but I'm worried that it's overly bright/fizzy in parts and that the bass might not be as smooth as I like. I'm also keen to understand if you think the separation is clean enough, or whether there's too much mud going on in parts.

Mix has had some rough mastering for demo/upload purposes done, but the intention would be to send for proper mastering for the EP.

Song is here on Dropbox:

Song 1

Cheers in advance.

Sounds really weird, like the phase is messed up from stereo widening or something.

Firstly, thanks for listening. I'm not fully sure what you are getting at specifically when you say it's weird and phasey - your comment was pretty general.

Does this ring true with other people?

Overall vibe I get is good. Im with the first guy a bit though. That first guitar tone kinda sets a weird, hollow sound, that is retained throughout the rest of the song. I feel like the guitars are a bit to boomy, which really influences the overall tone. As far as separation and clarity, try throwing a copy of the Rhy Gt track dead center, and low volume wise. I like the dimensions you have going, but I think it needs some more meat in the center.

Its a pretty driving song, so make sure you keep the push.

Overall vibe I get is good. Im with the first guy a bit though. That first guitar tone kinda sets a weird, hollow sound, that is retained throughout the rest of the song. I feel like the guitars are a bit to boomy, which really influences the overall tone. As far as separation and clarity, try throwing a copy of the Rhy Gt track dead center, and low volume wise. I like the dimensions you have going, but I think it needs some more meat in the center.

Its a pretty driving song, so make sure you keep the push.

Thanks for the suggestions and the feedback. I've taken another look at this song now and started going back to the raw tracks some more. Take a listen to a fairly involved remix of it:

Song 1 (Master 4)

To my ears, it feels like there is more clarity and separation there now, with less of the phase issues going on, albeit I seem to have sacrificed some of the punch of the guitars - I feel like they're a bit too scooped now.

Further suggestions to help this mix are much appreciated!

EDIT: Tried to cut back on the mids I was taking out in latest mix (very subtle). Listen here: Song 1 (Master 5)

The drums are too far away. Guitars are on the contrary in your face (ears actually) and have very annoying high-mid fizz and weird low resonances (you can clearly hear it right at the beginning when the guitar is only playing in one channel - there is a sort of slapback low noise in the other channel). Also, i think i can hear something that's supposed to be bass guitar, but it's too low and uncomprehensible.
Overall, nice tune, dude, but the mix really was painful to listen mostly because of nasty guitars (solo sounded fine though!).

I agree with the above posts - there's just like nothing in the middle of this mix. I also agree that the drums are far back in the mix. Try not panning the guitars 100%.

Ok guys, have been back to the drawing board with this one.......some re-tracking, re-mixing, the lot.

Would again appreciate some genuine critique on the mix! I think it's come a long way compared to the first version of this track that I posted (feel free to tell me I'm talking bollocks though!)

Last edited by a moderator: