Five Finger Death Punch discussion

vgmaster9

Jun 30, 2012
Since 5FDP is considered one of the fastest growing metal bands to date, I figured I'd make a thread about them. They are one of those bands that many people would either love or hate.

What are your opinions on them? Do you think they're the next big thing in the world of metal, or do you think they're a complete joke to the genre? Personally, I don't think they're too bad. I think they have a rather good impression on modern American metal.

I remember a couple years someone asked me what kind of music I listened to, and he was surprised when I said metal. He then asked me if I listened to death metal and I said that I listened to some. I asked if he did too and he then said that he liked Five Finger Death Punch quite a bit. For some reason I didn't feel an urge to correct him and namedrop ten OSDM band names as many on internet forums claim to do. Probably because I don't care about the band.

They're a mainstream metal band. Inoffensive, and serve a good purpose: they keep metal in the broader consciousness, so teens might run into their shirts and albums in the mall and get inspired to dig deeper into more extreme metal down the road.

I got in a fight at this bar in Denver once. The dude could throw down, but I almost had him before like 15 people grabbed me. A little later all my buddies were like "You know who that was right?". Turns out it was the singer of 5FDP. Fuck if I cared. He's a punk.

It's funny how people think bands like 5FDP is the hardest shit out there. I let them hear the stuff I listen to and they're like, "oh fuck..." Most never knew that kind of music even existed.

There's a local festival around here every year called Rock Fest. I was talking to a guy I work with one day and he asked if I was going and I said no, I don't like any of the bands playing and that it's not hard enough music for me. I tell him Trivium is the closest band to anything remotely metal that will be there. Then he says, "oh, I didn't know they have death metal bands play at Rock Fest."......WTF. This kid has a lot to learn.

Phase 1) Liking terrible metal.
Phase 2) Feeling the need to neg on terrible metal.
Phase 3) Not giving two shits about terrible metal. Why bother with radio?

It is a gateway drug as someone else mentioned earlier. No one dives right into Ruins of Beaverest. Maybe some kids listen to this, experiment a little and find some quality music down the road they dig.

I am guessing there is a gateway metal band thread here somewhere. Mine was W.A.S.P. "The Last Command."

I got in a fight at this bar in Denver once. The dude could throw down, but I almost had him before like 15 people grabbed me. A little later all my buddies were like "You know who that was right?". Turns out it was the singer of 5FDP. Fuck if I cared. He's a punk.

Maybe, but he's not Oliver Sykes.

The way I see it, 5FDP and other NWOAHM bands like A7X, Lamb of God, Demon Hunter, Devildriver, Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Unearth, and All that Remains are a more casual variety of metal bands. Like ualaw99 said, they're the kind of bands that would get you interested in other styles of metal.

Maybe, but he's not Oliver Sykes.

The way I see it, 5FDP and other NWOAHM bands like A7X, Lamb of God, Demon Hunter, Devildriver, Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Unearth, and All that Remains are a more casual variety of metal bands. Like ualaw99 said, they're the kind of bands that would get you interested in other styles of metal.

YgyAZ.jpg

NWOAHM = Groove Metal

Actually, NWOAHM borrows elements for other genres besides groove metal, like thrash metal, melodic death metal, alternative metal, metalcore, hardcore punk, etc.

However, bands like Attack Attack!, Devil Wears Prada, and Black Veil Brides, I don't consider part of the movement whatsoever.