Five Finger Death Punch discussion

I can understand them being a gateway band, but I don't see it happening much. They're radio friendly metal. Barely out of the hard rock genre...Yes, they're one of the harder bands played on the radio along with Disturbed and even Metallica. I don't think you'll hear much harder music than that on the radio. I know people who like them and bands like Shinedown, Theory of a Deadman, etc., etc. who I think fuckin' suck. Typical generic rock music. And I don't see these people I know going through that "gateway" and eventually liking bands like Decapitated, Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, etc. Not that it can't happen, but it's a slim chance.

And I don't see these people I know going through that "gateway" and eventually liking bands like Decapitated, Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, etc. Not that it can't happen, but it's a slim chance.

Well they could like more than those kinds of bands. They could probably look into bands for other genres like groove metal, metallic hardcore, progressive metal, power metal, thrash metal, etc. I may be crazy, but 5FDP seems like the Iron Maiden of our generation.

Since 5FDP is considered one of the fastest growing metal bands to date, I figured I'd make a thread about them. They are one of those bands that many people would either love or hate.

What are your opinions on them? Do you think they're the next big thing in the world of metal, or do you think they're a complete joke to the genre? Personally, I don't think they're too bad. I think they have a rather good impression on modern American metal.

Oh, I sure hope not.

FFDP is garbage. Generic everything, they're radio friendly metal that isn't really even worth a listen to.

but 5FDP seems like the Iron Maiden of our generation.

wait what

I would like to say though, that I don't think it's stupid to listen to them or like them, even though they suck, because the skill it took to produce something isn't equivalent to its value to the observer, and different people can get different things from the same piece of music, different emotions and associations, or whatever... I don't know where I'm going with this

but 5FDP seems like the Iron Maiden of our generation.

YgyAZ.jpg

YgyAZ.jpg

^^ Whoa?? So this is what people consider metal nowadays?

The stuff that most of us on this site consider metal a vast majority of the general public have never even heard. Even shit that we think is widely known, they've never heard. I work with a guy who says he likes metal and thinks he knows what is metal and what isn't, but he's the kind of guy that likes 'metal songs' and doesn't know a band from his ass. Most of the metal songs he discovers are from movies and video games... Anyway, he has no clue about what's out there and his knowledge comes from media and mainstream shit. I don't know, people must not be diving into underground stuff these days. Shit, they probably don't even know there IS an underground.

I like their name.

but the thumb isn't part of the striking surface of a punch, not to mention that the phrase "five finger death punch" implies a relationship between the fact that it uses five fingers, and its lethality, whereas in reality they should be inversely proportional, in that a smaller striking surface makes the force more penetrating and has far greater impact pressure P = F/A

They're a mainstream metal band. Inoffensive, and serve a good purpose: they keep metal in the broader consciousness, so teens might run into their shirts and albums in the mall and get inspired to dig deeper into more extreme metal down the road.

*true*
When I was 13 I like Rob Zombie and Slipknot which eventually took me to Death,Morbid Angel and even more extreme music

but the thumb isn't part of the striking surface of a punch, not to mention that the phrase "five finger death punch" implies a relationship between the fact that it uses five fingers, and its lethality, whereas in reality they should be inversely proportional, in that a smaller striking surface makes the force more penetrating and has far greater impact pressure P = F/A

The name is taken from Tarantino's Kill Bill FYI. :rolleyes:

killbill.jpg