Fix incorrectly made MIDI? Tempo is wrong, but sounds "normal"

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
Is there an easy way to fix a MIDI that sounds correct when played, but it has the wrong base tempo? Meaning, it sounds like a song being played at 112 BPM, but the actual tempo of the MIDI file is 12 BPM (about 9 times slower than what it sounds like). So when you use that MIDI in a project that is 112 BPM, the imported MIDI sounds like a hyperspeed ADHD character on a sugar rush :zombie:

I also tried copypasting the notes from the original MIDI into a new MIDI track, but of course it doesn't sound correct, since the notes and rests are made for a tempo of 12 BPM. :err:

What DAW?

Also, I don't understand what you mean when you say it sounds correct when played, but has the wrong tempo. Or do you mean that outside of the DAW, the MIDI plays fine, just when it gets imported to the DAW that's where it sounds wrong?

Yup, when you play the MIDI as-is, it sounds normal. But when you open it in a DAW (Cubase), or any MIDI editor, it is completely messed up. The reason is that the maker of the MIDI made it with the tempo setting at 12 BPM, and then he just used some *ahem* creative ways to make it sound like 112 BPM (the actual tempo of the song). I can't even fathom how it was achieved. Here's the actual MIDI file btw:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/juhau/anxiety.mid

When you play it, it sounds normal. But try to add it to a DAW project set to 112 BPM (the actual tempo it should play) for som lulz :lol:

Hmm, it seems that the time stretch feature of Cubase can handle it, but of course getting the tempo is still manual work where you need a reference of the actual tempo. Ah well, at least better than nothing.

The time stretch method seems to work, even though it's a bit of a chore.

1) Paste the MIDI into DAW
2) Line it to first beat of correct tempo
3) Stretch it roughly, and see how it compares to the tempo; click lags = stretch the MIDI more / click goes faster = make the MIDI shorter in length (time compress, I believe?)
4) Do that until the beginning, middle and end of the MIDI stay on beat
5) ?!?!
6) Profit.

Switch from musical to linear thingie or vice versa, dont really remember. Look at the Cubase manual.

I've tried to fix the file in FLstudio but failed... looks like the resolution of midi format makes it impossible to quantize after stretching

What I did:

1. Open cubase.
2. Without opening a project up, import midi (creates new project taking the tempo from the midi track)
3. Turn the note button on the midi track to a clock button.
4. Set time signature to 4/4 and tempo to 112 (64/64 LOLOLOLOL)
5. Turn note button dinger back on
6. Re export midi

^ I tried that but over the course of the MIDI file the notes get off the beat, then back on, then back off, etc.

Separate the sections of the piece, tap-tempo to figure out what the estimated tempo is for that passage. Conform to desired tempo. Move on to the next section.