FJA 5150 mods

Nitrobattery

Jun 28, 2009
So I've been a Mesa guy for years and years. I'm on my 7th Boogie, I've had ENGL stuff, I had a Framus Cobra, used a Framus Dragon extensively, I've had Marshalls.....but it always seems like whenever I hear a guitar tone that stops me dead in my tracks....it's a 5150. Do any of you guys have any experience with any of the FJA mods? There are a ton of 5150's and 6505's for sale locally and I'm really tempted to pick one up and have it sent off to be modded. Have any of you had any work done by them? What'd you think?

i just picked up a 5150 combo a few months ago, and just the other day a friend of mine sold me his 5150II..couldnt pass up the deal, but what im trying to get at is i have had a triple recto for a long time now and love that amp....but obviously when you blend the recto with the 5150 its just like cock n pussy....they just fit together. :cool:
Would like to check a modded 5150 in person before i decided to get it.

Have owned 6 5150's - 1 stock, 2 bias mod, 2 II's, and 1 FJA mod.

I'll take a 5150II over an FJA modded one - took all that I loved about the 5150 and shit on it. No grind, not as much ballsy roar, too squishy, etc - just took all the cool, brutal parts of the 5150 tone that really make it such a perfect metal amp and ruined them.

The basic must have 5150 mods are:

Bias Mod
1K screen grid resistor upgrade
Mid Sweep

And if you like less but more usable gain with an added side effect of noise, dropping the grid leak resistor to 240K.

Other than that, the amp doesn't need anything else, as any other mod will begin to change the tonality/voicing of the amp, which is not what you want to do.

I have a FJA bias modded 5150 sig. I have never played one of his heavier modded ones. I had a deluxe modded 5150II come in that was done by voodoo and it was AWSOME.

Down the road I would rather have my amp modded by Trace than Jerry after hearing the 5150 that came in, but both are good IMO. The IEC option that Jerry offers is a really good idea.

No grind, not as much ballsy roar, too squishy, etc - just took all the cool, brutal parts of the 5150 tone that really make it such a perfect metal amp and ruined them.

You just perfectly described what my Voodoo Amps modded 5150 sounded like.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to keep my eye for a used 5150 on craigslist, retube it, and then take it from there. If I end up doing a mod, it'll probably just be the sweep mod.