FLAC to MP3

Ken Lyall

Mar 31, 2006
Aberfeldy, Perthshire, SCOTLAND
Question to any computer experts out there.
How can you transfer a .FLAC file to a .MP3 file.
Is it possible. If not what programme do you need to play a FLAC file.
(I have some old Rainbow files that are .FLAC, but cannot play them)
Thanks
Ken

I have managed to sucessfully burn the FLAC's to a cd now, which is what I wanted.
I don't have a mp3 player, and seldom use my computer to listen to music as the speakers are crap.
One thing I have noticed is that music files use a lot of memory. My computer is getting a bit too full. I guess the only options are to get an external hard drive/memory, or burn them to cd and then delete. It is handy to keep them though, in case the cd is damaged or lost.

Ugh, I hate FLAC, mostly because of my converter doesn't convert it. It does convert many other formats, though.

But yeah, thanks for mentioning this. There's some songs I dl'd in FLAC and I want to burn them in mp3 format.

There are plenty of wav to mp3 converters, and I know the software to convert flacs to wav is free, so you could just do it in two steps. I have something that can do flac straight to mp3 and it takes just about as long to do it in two steps. The program I have is called dbpoweramp btw, I dunno if it's free anymore, but it's definitely the best sound/music converter out there. It integrates with windows so you can just right click on a file and choose "convert to," and you can download codecs for basically any format imaginable off their website.

lol, sorry ;)
if you have a dvd burner, then there's actually no difference at all concerning usage. it's just that you have much more capacity with a dvd.
whether an external HD suits your needs better depends on how many mp3s you actually have imo....

oh right,
does that mean that you could burn, say 10 albums on to a dvd. It would be stored there, but could it be played on anything?
sorry man, like many things in life, this is a mystery (I thought that I had ok computer knowledge.........until now)

erm, I thought you want to just store the mp3 files somewhere. for this, dvds would be very handy! this doesn't mean you can play them in your cd player or dvd player (depends! my CD player can't play anything but music CDs, but then there are players that can play MP3 files directly from CDs/DVDs).
but I don't think there's such a thing as "music DVD"...someone else might know though.

so if you want to just archive your mp3 _files_, burn them onto DVDs.