Flight 666 on VH1 and Palladia

peterp

Aug 26, 2004
San Leandro, CA
FYI for those that can not wait for the DVD to come out

Last year Iron Maiden flew around the world for their Somewhere Back In Time Tour. Making their home in a 757, they took 45 days to shake the planet with their metal anthems. They knew where they were going: lead singer Bruce Dickinson was in the cockpit, piloting the plane to every one of the 23 sold-out stadium gigs. Want to know what it’s like to be on the road with one of hard rock’s most acclaimed acts? Iron Maiden: Flight 666, a full-length documentary of the whole deal, tells the story. It premieres on VH1 Classic and Palladia on Saturday, June 6 at 9 pm; it’s VH1 premiere is 12 midnight that same evening.

“Having what is basically a flying “splitter bus” with all our gear and crew on board allowed us to undertake a touring schedule the likes of which has never been attempted before,” says Dickinson. “By being independent of flight and freight connections and schedules we could literally go where we wanted when we wanted. And so we did. It was quite a journey, exhausting at times with jet lag taking its toll, but our fans everywhere were magnificent which made all the effort and planning and time well worthwhile. It really was a unique experience until, that is, we did it again earlier this year!!”

The band played in 13 countries, also landing in Azerbaijan and Papua New Guinea en route for fuel stops, traveling 50,000 miles (70,000 km) and performing to almost half a million fans — a schedule that was only made possible by having their own “magic carpet” which enabled them to go where they wanted with all the key elements of band, crew and equipment on board one plane, christened “ED FORCE ONE.”

The film is produced by celebrated award-winning film makers Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn of Banger Productions, based in Toronto, Canada, who have received international critical acclaim for their previous movies, Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey and Global Metal.

It's on right now for me. 52" 1080p TV sets were made for this. :) Well, I can think of a few other musicians I'd rather see in high def, but it's still cool.

DVD on June 9.

This was fuckin awesome. Very well done. This really shows just how much Iron Maiden's music has effected the entire world. Its remarkable what these guys do with no radio play or mtv etc etc. Best band in history of the world no question. I can't wait for the dvd, hopefully blue ray. This is the best maiden video I have seen.

My God, talk about mega-commercials ... can't wait for the Blu-ray at Amazon, actually Best Buy has it this Tuesday for $14.95 (Blu-ray)!

I'm going to risk all manner of flamage for this...

It was good for fans, and that's about it. Other than that, it's a tour documentary with a few shots of Bruce flying the plane. It won't have the appeal to non-fans the way the Anvil documentary is winning over non-fans, for example.

Bruce giving Eddie Trunk a verbal slapdown was worth it all, though.

It was good for fans, and that's about it. Other than that, it's a tour documentary with a few shots of Bruce flying the plane. It won't have the appeal to non-fans the way the Anvil documentary is winning over non-fans, for example.

I totally agree - I don't see much in for anyone unless you're a fan of the band.

I tend to disagree. I think that this movie shows that Iron Maiden are not what the media portrays them as. It shows fans and non-fans alike the real deal behind the guys you see on stage. I really don't think they made this to win over a bunch of new fans. But I really think that if non-fans watch this they will, if nothing else, have a respect for them and realize that their stereotypes are all wrong. The media can see that Iron Maiden actually has a positive influence on kids lives and are far from the 'satanic' band that they think they are.

None the less it really doesn't matter to me if this even gains 1 single new fan. As proven in the movie, they have PLENTY of fans to go around ! :headbang:

PS can someone tell Adrian Smith that the belly shirts are for girls and definitely not cool when you are 50 years old :lol: I don't need to be seeing dudes belly button!

None the less it really doesn't matter to me if this even gains 1 single new fan. As proven in the movie, they have PLENTY of fans to go around ! :headbang:

He has a good point.

Unless said 'old fans' .... don't buy the DVD and the movie doesn't recoup it's costs. Film loses money. These movies aren't made for free. "New" fans are necessary to spend money, buy dvds, buy cd's, tickets, etc. Old farts are very cheap :)

Besides, how many diehard im fans buy a Iron Maiden CD a year? New Fans are needed unless you want every 16 y/o to be all into Akon and Bullets for my Valentine (eww). Yes, end of the day - it's all about the benjamins yo.

n

A couple of my co-workers (non-Maiden fans) saw it Saturday. NOW they understood we HAD to see Flight 666 at the theatres on Day One. This movie has definitely won Iron Maiden some new fans. And it reaffirms what the rest of us have known for years: Iron Maiden rules the f'n world! UP THE IRONS!

I tend to disagree. I think that this movie shows that Iron Maiden are not what the media portrays them as.

Does the media even acknowledge this band exists? All I see covered these days are Disney creations and sissies who look like David Geffen rentboys. That's what's passed off as music today. Meanwhile, a bunch of 50-something Brits fill arenas nightly and you'd never know it.

I'm not saying the docu should have been radically different, with one exception: I'd like to have seen much more on Bruce becoming a pilot, why he did it, how he keeps his certification, the planes he can fly etc. I would have really liked more insight on being a pilot.

Besides, how many diehard im fans buy a Iron Maiden CD a year? New Fans are needed unless you want every 16 y/o to be all into Akon and Bullets for my Valentine (eww). Yes, end of the day - it's all about the benjamins yo.

n

Well Bruce touched on that in the interview with Trunk. They have new fans coming on board, hence the nostalgia tour. I first started noticing this at the Rush comeback tour in 2002, lots of fans about my age bringing their kids. It seems mostly parents getting their children into the bands they grew up on.

Ever see the Slayer documentary "Fans Rule?" One of the opening segments features a guy leaving the show with his 11 year old son. Now that's raising em right! :lol:

Bought the DVD today and watched the L.A. gig footage on the bonus disc. At the end of the solos, there is a quick crowd shot and I saw my friend Michelle in the black & white Maiden shirt! After hitting rewind and then pausing the DVD, I then noticed our own ArchMagician over her shoulder:

MaidenDVD-LAgig.jpg

:kickass: