Floyd Rose Vs. Fixed Bridge

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
I've always played guitars with FR. last year I bought a Les Paul with fixed bridge and I find it more dificult to play palm mute and more technical riffs 'cause my palm doesn't fit very well in the bridge.
Is it just me or someone else have the same problem?

I've always played guitars with FR. last year I bought a Les Paul with fixed bridge and I find it more dificult to play palm mute and more technical riffs 'cause my palm doesn't fit very well in the bridge.
Is it just me or someone else have the same problem?

And i always thought it was the complete opposite... anyways... u should start using your pinky as an anchor when ur pickin... thats whats Mr. Michael Angelo would recommend... the most efficient way of picking... :)

yeah i hate them tune o matic style LP bridges, feels like my hand is hovering when i play guitar, i like FRs and tfixed bridge/strat trem style bridges, so my hand is closer to the body. just find i can attack the strings better, but at the end of the day, its what your used to and what works best for you

yeah i hate them tune o matic style LP bridges, feels like my hand is hovering when i play guitar, i like FRs and tfixed bridge/strat trem style bridges, so my hand is closer to the body. just find i can attack the strings better, but at the end of the day, its what your used to and what works best for you

+1
Yeah, when I refered to fixed bridge I meant TuneoMatics.
Fixed bridge of the strats is ok too.

Given the choice, I'd rather have a really high bridge than a really low bridge cuz I too anchor my pinky (Petrucci-style), so when playing the high strings, if the bridge is too low all my fingers get jumbled up there with my pinky. I guess it's because I anchor my pinky that I don't mind Tune-o-matics, but I also don't mind Floyds either - the only guitar I've played that had the bridge too low was my Ibanez RGA321 with a fixed bridge, but a shim in the neck joint to raise it and thus the bridge solved that! But yeah, definitely try the pinky anchoring technique if you don't already, it really helped me when I switched to it a couple of years ago!

I like having my hand elevated, as on a TOM bridge. Not problem playing with flatter style bridges (FR, fender-style hardtail), I just rarely find guitars I'm into that don't have a TOM. FWIW I hate the way an FR makes the strings feel... not as snappy or responsive, a bit 'dead' and rubbery to my fingers.

My Universe is the lowest profile guitar i've played and i can still anchor my finger when needed

Then you haven't played an Ibanez with the Gibraltar hard tail bridge ;) Trust me, I owned an RG with an Edge Pro bridge (same as the Universe) and liked it fine, but the Gibraltar on my RGA was just ridiculously low before I had the neck shimmed! :erk:

Doesn't really matter to me, I've owned guitars with all kinds of bridges. I don't really like Floyds though, they're just not my thing. I prefer fixed bridges mostly, but I dig some vintage tremolos too (Jazzmaster and Jaguar bridges are awesome!).

I've owned an Ibanez with the Gibraltar bridge (RGA121) and I didn't think it was low at all. It felt just like any other guitar to me. Sold it though, I didn't like the neck; it was too thin for me.

I've got toms/vtrems/ofrs/lp floyds you get used to it. Play with everything you can get your hands on and experience it, helps your technique adapt better/quicker

I don't really notice the difference anymore, owning just about every type of bridge system on one guitar or another. The only thing that's goofy is when I'm on my LTD F-2005 and I reach for the whammy bar that isn't there. :lol:

I don't understand complaining about the feel of a bridge....get use to it, it's pretty simple. Think about the first time you used a guitar, whatever bridge it had must have felt pretty weird to you then as well, but you didn't go "ugh, I can't do this, it feels weird"....

I have many types of bridges as well... i like fender style bridges and floyds that are locked... i don't mind TOM either... but i guess its because I anchor my pinky on the Bridge pickup's ring...

so, looks like that is the general consensus... anchor your pinky, or suffer.

I don't really notice the difference anymore, owning just about every type of bridge system on one guitar or another. The only thing that's goofy is when I'm on my LTD F-2005 and I reach for the whammy bar that isn't there. :lol:

Do you still have that LTD V?

I tried for a few months getting used to the Gibraltar bridge on my Ibanez, but it's hard to get used to something when it directly conflicts with your established technique that you're very happy with ;)

I've always disliked the feel of a FR bridge, I find that I can palm mute better on a TOM or Kahler type bridge. I Actually Love the way my Washburn wonderbar bridge feels...too bad they're not in production anymore

you'll get used to playing a fixed bridge, all my guitars were floyd rose setups and i was so comfortable playing them. then i won a gibson les paul custom and it was such a nice guitar to play but it was difficult because i was not used to using a fixed bridge. it just took about 3 months or so of constantly playing on it and now im comfortable with it as much as my floyd guitars. i would almost choose a fixed over a floyd now.

the only thing i dont like about my fixed bridge on my gibson is that the pickups are a custom would high output set and they pick up the sound of the strings ringing out after the bridge. (the part where the string is about 1.5cm long and then joins to the holes where the strings go after the neck and pickups) and its realllllly fucking hard to gate it on a track when im trying to play sharp stoppy styled riffs.

the only thing i dont like about my fixed bridge on my gibson is that the pickups are a custom would high output set and they pick up the sound of the strings ringing out after the bridge. (the part where the string is about 1.5cm long and then joins to the holes where the strings go after the neck and pickups) and its realllllly fucking hard to gate it on a track when im trying to play sharp stoppy styled riffs.

Put a sock or some other shizz in there when recording just to very gently dampen the strings. Same with the headstock.

Joe