Help (floyd rose replacement)

nezvers

Beast
Oct 5, 2010
Latvia, Riga
That's it, I'm now hating floyd as F**K. Beside nasty things it brings nw even it can't hold it's shit together (bridge string clamps slip, because have groves from strings).
I have Shecter Damian Elite 7 FR (Floyd Rose Special) and really love it, but now 3rd string (G) slowly slip out from bridge clamps on note bending.

I want to replace it as fast as possible and would like to replace it with hard tail bridge (not blocked Floyd/ totally different bridge style).
Maybe you know some bridge manufacturers that could be used for replacing Floyd (best if retrofit without any special luthiering)?

I asked Shaller if they have something preferably retrofitting, but for 7 strings they have shaller Hannes 7 (which doesn't look retrofit-able)
Maybe Kahler is option (but I don't know which model and I know they have some issues with note bending + returning in right pitch)

Ultimately I want evertune, but that's way too costly around 300+300+70Eur (brige+installing+shipping Latvia>UK>Latvia). If I'm understanding prices right, that bridge isn't included in installation price.

is it not worth cutting your losses and selling it with a view to using the money from the sale plus the money for the new bridge into another guitar? Could you not get the fixed bridge version of that guitar for around the same price second hand as you could sell yours for? Just sounds like you're making a lot of trouble for yourself and to me it seems like the easier and better option pal.

There are several guitar models available which come factory installed with an EverTune, which in my option would be a better option compared to retrofitting a guitar which you might not enjoy all that much. Also tremolo retrofits are a bit more tricky and can leave installation marks from needing to fill the tremolo cavity around the sides of the EverTune, which can also affect tone and sustain in places where the bridge is not as securely anchored.

I'm not sure what you mean by selling. I ant to keep my axe, but replace bridge to solid hard tail bridge. Because floyd have problems to have tight low & open notes.

Guitar is stellar and only downfall is bridge, but damn, if that's a big deal I'll have to sell it and find new one without FR. t time I bought it I was convinced that I want Damien Elite 7, but I couldn't find new one, except one from USA through Ebay and with Floyd.

I wish there is something similar to this, but retrofit-able on 7 string floyd rose
53___1455.jpg

Look closely at where the strings come across the saddles on any fixed bridge, and then see where they are on your Floyd. See how the Floyd has the strings over the open cavity in your guitar? There's really NO option for you except to sell the guitar. There's no wood to hold the replacement bridge. Fixed bridges also sit higher, requiring a different angle to your neck, and then your right hand/wrist will be in a different spot/angle as well.

It sounds to me like you just need to replace the bad saddle on your existing bridge. Then block it. That would be your cheapest option.
You can also replace a Floyd Rose Special with an Original Floyd Rose. (You can with the 6, I'd imagine you could with the 7. It'd probably be hard to find and pricey to go that route.)

Is that the one with the Hipshot Hardtail? That's probably going to feel the best for you if you liked the height of the Floyd.

I have no problems to adapt to bridge height or type. I'm thinking to get 8 stringer and since I loved EMG 81-7, but 8 string Damian Elite have 808. Blackouts sounded 95% the same as 81s seemed that Schecter Blackjack best choice. At the moment I'm waiting for all money to transfer to one account and I have thinking to get ATX series blackjack.
And that's limit of my budget almost 700Eu, since I have time to consider I could ask suggestion for guitar in that price range.

I have no problems to adapt to bridge height or type. I'm thinking to get 8 stringer and since I loved EMG 81-7, but 8 string Damian Elite have 808. Blackouts sounded 95% the same as 81s seemed that Schecter Blackjack best choice. At the moment I'm waiting for all money to transfer to one account and I have thinking to get ATX series blackjack.
And that's limit of my budget almost 700Eu, since I have time to consider I could ask suggestion for guitar in that price range.

If you liked the rest of the guitar, I'd stick with something as close as possible. The more comfortable a guitar is, the more likely you are to pick it up. Took me years to figure that out. Find a comfortable neck, find a body style that suits you, find a bridge that you like, etc. The sound can always be tweaked with pickups/amps.

For years I have pondered why no one has made a hardtail replacement for floyds. Personally I like a lot of guitars that only come with floyds but I hate the bridge.

Probably because of the missing wood.
:devil:

Is snipping the ball ends off THAT much of a hassle with floyds to you?

Seriously, to me, if I don't have to fight to balance the spring/string tension thing to intonate and to adjust the action, a good quality Floyd like a German Schaller or OFR or Japanese Gotoh or Ibanez Edge with a good chunky sustain block is an OK bridge by my book. It's just the intonation and spring/string tension balance that make floyds a HUMONGOUS PITA to me.

It's just the intonation and spring/string tension balance that make floyds a HUMONGOUS PITA to me.

Reason why I couldn't stand that Floyd.
But that string end clamping also started to get on me.

This guy replaced with shaller tremolo bridge (string through). And blocking it he got nice solid bridge. But problem is that I couldn't find that bridge, not talking about 7 string version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFtAUR60X7E

Is snipping the ball ends off THAT much of a hassle with floyds to you?

Seriously, to me, if I don't have to fight to balance the spring/string tension thing to intonate and to adjust the action, a good quality Floyd like a German Schaller or OFR or Japanese Gotoh or Ibanez Edge with a good chunky sustain block is an OK bridge by my book. It's just the intonation and spring/string tension balance that make floyds a HUMONGOUS PITA to me.

What's the point of doing it if you aren't going to use the floyd as a floyd though, you might as well get a hardtail instead. But some guitars do not have that option.

Or in my case when I had money to buy guitar and I wanted exact guitar, but only NEW was with Floyd at that time (and I had to sell previous guitar to get some money boost, so no guitars to keep me occupied and made urge to buy much bigger).