Fuck Floyd Rose! (the fuck floyd rose thread)

beyond dead

heavy metal dad \m/
Sep 26, 2007
peterborough, ontario, canada
I hate floyd rose bridges. they are cool if you want to go "weeeeeeeeerrrrrrwwwww, weeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwww" but try bending a note on 1 string while a note on another string rings out, or try alternating between palm mutes and open chords, and you have disaster.

so why is it that almost every so called guitarist will stand by their floating fail flap to the death? as soon as I see a floyd equipped axe in my studio, I feel like calling it a day.

why am I faced with the obstacle of convincing every guitarist I work with that floyds are such a fail?!?! I dont understand why they cant HEAR the difference themselves?

and the worst part is that they think Im just a big meany who wants to steal their blankey sigh

I never had a problem with mine. 99% of the time I'm not using the bar though. I just prefer the feel of a floyd bridge to a regular fixed bridge. As for alternating between palm mutes and open chords ... if you're having problems with that it might be something other than the floyd

I guess Reb Beach is immune against the muted->open string problem:

;)

Not if you know what you're doing.

Agree, except for when it comes to double stops.
There is no way around that while having a floating setup. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ROFL thread fail so far

I love my OFRs

Hahahaha :lol:

Yeah I don't think this thread went quite the way the OP was expecting :p

As for Reb, that dude is so fucking good man. Only comment I can make about that vid though is ... ok I get the hair, I get the open shirt and hey even the shirt itself but c'mon, were chaps actually necessary?:lol:

no, it seems like a fail so far. at least one person agrees lol

I do agree that guitars with floyds do resonate well, and in fact, one of my fav. guitars has a floyd. I use this guitar mainly for leads.

personally, I havent seen the point in basing my technique around overcoming the floyds performance issues.

but, like all other tools, floyd rose bridges have a use, and when used properly can have great results.

while a lot of excellent players have had much success professionally with these type of bridges, there are at least twice as many players whose playing is negatively affected by floyd rose bridges.

I would say that floyd rose bridges are perhaps the most misused tool in the underground music scene. So many guitarists (coincidentally most of them misuse floyd rose bridges) only own floyd rose equipped guitars. What is even worse is that they cannot tell that they are misusing it.

perhaps I should have named the thread some thing like : fuck I hate when people misuse floyd rose bridges haha

I mean dudes who pull the strings sharp when palm muting, not setting the guitar up properly when stringing it, bending notes and pulling other sustaining notes out of tune the list goes on.

some of the reactions in this thread exemplify how protective some guitarists can be of these bridges. I have respect for you guys as players, and I know that floyds can give great results when used properly, but unfortunately not every guitarist can use these bridges well.

I always have guitarists coming in with shitty floyd rose equipped guitars (many have licensed fr bridges) that dont stay in tune and have shitty playability, who refuse to use anything else. and most of these people dont use the bar at all.

I also am disappointed that so many awesome guitars only come with floyd rose bridges. I wish that the majority of guitarists would realize that they should only get a floyd if they need it. every guitar manufacturer needs to throw floyds on to sell guitars.

I mean dudes who pull the strings sharp when palm muting, not setting the guitar up properly when stringing it, bending notes and pulling other sustaining notes out of tune the list goes on.

some of the reactions in this thread exemplify how protective some guitarists can be of these bridges. I have respect for you guys as players, and I know that floyds can give great results when used properly, but unfortunately not every guitarist can use these bridges well.

I always have guitarists coming in with shitty floyd rose equipped guitars (many have licensed fr bridges) that dont stay in tune and have shitty playability, who refuse to use anything else.

Well I kinda get what you're getting at but personally I'll have to disagree. While I know some people will undoubtedly do the above mentioned things, it still really comes down to how a person is using it. I think someone who is playing proper might encounter these issues on any trem system. As for being protective, again speaking for myself, don't know that I'm being protective of my floyd, just know that having played MANY different guitars with different bridges etc .. on them, I prefer the feel of a floyd and have confidence that when I do decide at times to use it more aggressively, it won't let me down

Hahahaha :lol:

Yeah I don't think this thread went quite the way the OP was expecting :p

As for Reb, that dude is so fucking good man. Only comment I can make about that vid though is ... ok I get the hair, I get the open shirt and hey even the shirt itself but c'mon, were chaps actually necessary?:lol:

David%20Lee%20Roth%20Assless%20Chaps.jpg

(David Lee Roth)

:lol:

I always have guitarists coming in with shitty floyd rose equipped guitars (many have licensed fr bridges) that dont stay in tune and have shitty playability, who refuse to use anything else. and most of these people dont use the bar at all.

I also am disappointed that so many awesome guitars only come with floyd rose bridges. I wish that the majority of guitarists would realize that they should only get a floyd if they need it. every guitar manufacturer needs to throw floyds on to sell guitars.

So what you are saying is that Floyd sucks, because the guitarists you have met cant play for shit?
.. Bravo.

And im not "protective" over floyds at all.. but the things you are saying are all related to bad players, not bad equipment.
Even if you play a Les Paul you will pull the note sharp when muting so i dont get that point at all.. the double stop thing is something that comes with all floating setups.

Get a tremblocker if you are so annoyed by these guitarist, there, problem solved! ;)

I used to hate them until I spent some time properly setting up an edge trem on an Ibanez Jem.
When set up correctly there should be no problem.

do you have a block or tremolno installed? I have one on my floyd equipped axe. it is the only way I would use it.

my battle is really against crappy musicians, and floyds dont make it any easier.

I have a block on one of my gats, the other no. I VERY rarely use the trem bar which is why I have one blocked off and can only "dive bomb" on it but for recording purposes sometimes I'll use the other when I want to try out some tricks or whatever. Point being that either one performs the same for me and I'm not even much of a trem guy so really it just sounds like you've had to deal with a lot of people who just don't know what they're doing. Really has nothing to do with FR at all ... IMO