Floyd settup

I tell you Egan, Gotoh is the trem slayer. Ibanez trems are more like high quality toys, floyd roses themselves are just outdated IMO, unergonomic and my god does that screw annoy me. Gotoh's stay in tune better than all of them, feel more responsive and have the most amazing design concerning how the arm actually connects to the bridge meaning you can adjust precisely the amount of throw you want in it. Oh yeh, this means it doesnt wobble. Ibanez arms are wobble mania, the terrible bushings last about a day (hence why i refer to the design as a high quality toy).

Remember this too- The big boys who play ibanez guitars with trems favour the original edge trem. Guess who manufacturers it? GOTOH :D

They don't make em with Lo-TRS anymore. A little under $200 for a bridge seemed worth it 2x over for me, so yeah. I've been using and abusing them both for over 8 years with little to no tuning problems.

Oh yeah, I know, I meant scouring ebay/CL for one. Thanks for the low-down!

I don't know man...they still hold up, but part of that "testament" is that you can't replace them with anything else. If your O.G. Floyd eats it, you can replace it easily (btw, I have an OFR from the early 80's and it's still tip-top). If an original Edge dies, you are fucked.

With enough routing you can practically replace any floyd based locking trem with another floyd/floyd based trem.
If you dropped in an Edge Pro, at least then you'd have a trem with replaceable knife edges

With enough routing you can practically replace any floyd based locking trem with another floyd/floyd based trem.
If you dropped in an Edge Pro, at least then you'd have a trem with replaceable knife edges

...and you are experienced enough in just routing the fuck out of any guitar for a new bridge at the drop of a hat? :guh:

Might as well be saying "with enough full attention with a chop saw and a sledgehammer, you can turn your marvelous Ford F150 into a fine metal bench".

the new gotoh ones (like used by suhr, ruokangas,...) are IMHO the best floyds... ever! I play floyd equiped guitars since 1992, and I currently have 2 OFR's, Schaller, Kahler,... and I recently changed one into the new gotoh, with the big brass block. It's amazing!

Edge Pro's and Edge Pro 7's are GOTOH units

True. Many of the best-rated Floyd trems are Gotoh, the best trem ever according to most who used it is actually this one : http://www.hosco.co.jp/HOSCO_ENGLISH/Pages/gotoh_catalog2008/tremolo_standard.html, been researching gear for the sake of it and for an upcoming guitar-building project and it really seems to be top-notch in all aspects.

Of course some may prefer Edge Pro's, Lo-Pro's or OFR's to it but it gets more a matter of taste then.

Nope. You're welcome to try to sell me on why I need one. (that is serious and not sarcastic BTW)

You don't have an OFR? Well that would explain the unsatisfactory warble effect... For example, I own a Korean made '98 Kramer Baretta which had Kramer's licensed FR. While it was always staying in tune the guitar never sustained very well and when I'd try warbling it would die off pretty soon...
Then an OFR appeared in the ads and I decided to go for it, just to try it.
When I fitted it (mind you, I just exchanged the bridge, old posts remained) I was like OMG! o_O

The guitar gained tons of sustain and clarity, the tremolo arm felt smoother and the warble would last for ages compared to before. Not just that, Dimeish dive bombs are now piece of cake to obtain... As if I bought a totally new guitar, I tell you!

Get an OFR or some other quality licensed FR (Gotoh, Schaller, Ibanez Edge type) and then tell us what the difference is, you won't be sorry! Some people don't like the fine tuners sticking up like on classic OFR design. I personally don't mind it, but there's always a Pro version of tremolo if you do (Pro as in Low Profile)

True. Many of the best-rated Floyd trems are Gotoh, the best trem ever according to most who used it is actually this one : http://www.hosco.co.jp/HOSCO_ENGLISH/Pages/gotoh_catalog2008/tremolo_standard.html, been researching gear for the sake of it and for an upcoming guitar-building project and it really seems to be top-notch in all aspects.

What I dig about Gotoh the most is their tremolo arm insertion system - the Delrin inlay in the hole with a small allen screw outside to control the stiffness. And the arm you insert is simply a curved metal bar, without any bits and pieces at the end! You could easily make one yourself...
I have that system on my other guitar, Yamaha Pacifica 604W (Gotoh manufactures Wilkinson trems), and I've always liked it!

...and you are experienced enough in just routing the fuck out of any guitar for a new bridge at the drop of a hat? :guh:

Might as well be saying "with enough full attention with a chop saw and a sledgehammer, you can turn your marvelous Ford F150 into a fine metal bench".

"with enough full attention with a chop saw and a sledgehammer, you can turn your marvelous Ford F150 into a fine metal bench".

This bit slayed me:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I tried an OFR and a Gotoh Floyd out in the same guitar, the Gotoh didn't even come close to the OFR... Felt like plastic and had tuning issues.

My Music Man Silo came stock with the Gotoh Floyd and it's as good or better than any of the OFR's I've owned. I've had OFR's on a Jap Jackson Soloist Pro, a mid 90's BC Rich Mockingbird and a early 90's Heartfield Talon. I've had dozens of lesser Floyds on various Ibanez, Charvel, Jackson, ESP/LTD and other guitars. I've also had a couple Lo-Pro Edges and a Edge Pro.

In my experience, the lesser Floyds I've used all suffered the same shitty traits. Posts leaning/bending ( either shitty posts / bad installation / shitty body wood ), saddles cracking when tightening the string lock screw ( more an ID10T issue I assume ), excessive corrosion, whammy shafts breaking ( the threaded tube the bar goes in on the OFR type with the threaded collar on the bar ).

The only thing I didn't like about the Lo Pro Edge was the bar just flopped about. I think there MIGHT have been a screw to adjust but I don't recall if there was and it didn't work well or it just didn't have it. The OFR style with the threaded collar on the bar always came loose.

On the Gotoh on my Silo, you set it to how loose/tight you want it and you're done. I've picked the guitar up by the bar. I've done 5 step dives and pulled til the back hit the bottom of the rear route and it always snaps back in tune. I've had this guitar since '95 and I've never had to replace a saddle which is more than I can say for some. I wouldn't say there is a 'best'. Like everything musical, it's all preference and the Gotoh feels like an OFR and is every bit as solid yet has the bonus bar tension and offset intonation set screws. Plus the bar never comes out so I never have to dick with it. That may be a Music Man thing IDK, but I love it.

I also don't get how some people say one kind is tighter/looser. doesn't scale length, string guage and spring config determine all that?

You have just witnessed the extent of my relevance to this forum. Carry on.

The only thing I didn't like about the Lo Pro Edge was the bar just flopped about. I think there MIGHT have been a screw to adjust but I don't recall if there was and it didn't work well or it just didn't have it.

Its unbelievable that they still haven't fixed that design (other than go over to the collar on the ZRs). A small amount of PTFE tape "bulks out" the arm washers nicely....but it shouldnt be needed in the first place!