Flying V Guitar Strap

viva_360

Jun 3, 2004
www.facebook.com
Hi ppl i need your help to ask whatkind of suitable strap is used for a Fly V. I recently bought an Epiphone Flying V 1967 and the Strap Buttons are really different from other fly Vs i currently have a nylon strap on it and for some reason the guitar slides down insteads of staying still on me. From the neck it slides down. DOEs it happen to all flying V's? :confused:

Thx!

Get a leather strap and the neck diving will stop. Flying Vs have light bodies, so they can neck dive a bit. I have a Gibson Flying V, I use a leather strap, and I never have the neck diving problem.

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Does the leather give that grip on the shoulder? Which brand is the best? Or any leather strap is good? I took a glance at music123.com and they sell broad and thin straps which one to go for?

viva_360 said:
Does the leather give that grip on the shoulder? Which brand is the best? Or any leather strap is good? I took a glance at music123.com and they sell broad and thin straps which one to go for?

broad straps alleviate the strain over a bigger part of your shoulder, allowing you to play longer standing up without your neck/shoulder hurting...plus i think they look cooler :D

yeah I use an Epi - V too, and I use a nylon strap when I'm just goofing around- and it dives because the bodies are so light. The leather straps grip at the shoulder instead of sliding. They still WANT to dive, but don't as much.

Hi ppl i just went to the music store and looked at some off the leather straps and i don't get how it would not make the V guitar slip as the leather surface is pretty smooth ..... :confused:

Another option (although slightly more involved, also a more 'permanent'/thorough solution:

Move the rear strap button to balance the guitar. The rear strap button on my gibson V has been moved from the upper horn to the junction between the 2 horns and it balances perfectly now:

gibV.jpg

Hey everyone. Thanks for the tips of Flying-V. My friend bought a Monterey copy and he was a bit dissapointed to find it sliding off his shoulders every time he let go. So that, I'll ask him to get the leather straps.
Technical changes vabba suggested should solve the problem (great idea, btw), but I guess it's too much of a risk at this point lol :p

Thanks again :D