Folk Metal done wrong

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay

Am I only the one whose britches get in a crinkle over this folk-core faggotry that is being shilled down the masses throats by Nuclear Blast? The vocalist spouts off like a Finnish macaw, while the rest of the cadre thumps to and fro like a Groundhog in search of Bill Murray's soul. Did you ever wonder what modern day In Flames would sound like with a bagpipe and flute?!?! Holy fucking Christ anybody noodle dances a jig to this needs their feet cut off at the ankle by Sir Reginald!

:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw those guys opening for Negura in Paris. Entertaining for five minutes and just annoying for the remaining 40. I woulod rape this bint's arse for her awesome hurdy-gurdy though...

After I saw that they were playing Paganfest, I downloaded their last album, "Spirit", and was quite pleasantly surprised by its goodness. Then, I saw a quick review of the new one, "Slania" (which I presume this video is from?) where the person said it sounded like a mix of folk-metal and Dark Tranquillity. I thought, "what the hell? This guy has no idea what he's talking about". But then I downloaded it myself, and he was right.

In other words, I think their previous stuff is a probably a lot better. But no guarantees, since I've only listened to "Spirit" once, and maybe it secretly sounds like In Flames too, and I just didn't notice until someone mentioned it.

Neil

I'm turning off Gorillaz to listen to this.

Someone needs to make an animated gif of 0:52 to 0:55

That, and by "that" I mean "the first minute or so before I stopped it" was poop. POOP! Sounds like the end of The Taste of Victory as done by Ektomorf.

Wtf?!?!
How can you not like folk metal? Korpiklaani has the best drinking songs ever.
These guys are alright. I liked Spirit.
Check out maybe Ensiferum or Månegarm. Viking metal sure, but very folky at times.

Ensiferum and Manegarm Viking Metal? LOL.

Manegarm is alright, they were cool live. The violinist dude was definitely creepy though, and has altered my image of the band. Ensiferum are plain pop-folk crap. But in NO WAY are either of the bands "Viking Metal" (which really isn't a genre anyway). And Korpiklaani is fun for about 10 minutes.

I suspect Jolly-Folk's life has about 2 - 3 more years before the kids move on to something else. I'm guessing it'll be prog metal next.

...I'm guessing it'll be prog metal next.

Why do you hate every genre? Just asking. There isn't one genre of extreme metal that I don't like. In Metal at all actually.

You need to mature a little to notice the good aspects of some bands. Pretty much if you have talent, I'll like your band. Unless you play Melodic Death Metal. What a stagnating pointless genre. If you're not The Duskfall, Dark Tranquility, or In Flames, die.

Scar Symmetry is really really good though.