Folk Metal

Belligerent

Greekus Urungus
Mar 15, 2006
The Low Low, IL
Who can recommend me some Folk metal bands in vein of Amorphis (Elegy,Eclipse,Silent Waters). I like the chanting harmonies they create in their music.
Atmospheric/Folk or Folk w/ Doom influences are fine too.

I'd try Ulver. They have a similar sound to Agalloch (at least their first albums).

I am no expert on Agalloch by any means but the only Ulver album I would say is at all similar over all to them is 'Kveldssanger', the other older albums are all far more black metal orientated than anything I have heard Agalloch do.

My favorite folk metal bands are probably Moonsorrow and Thyrfing and for some straight acoustic folk you could check out October Falls/Nest/Ann'Sannat.

I am no expert on Agalloch by any means but the only Ulver album I would say is at all similar over all to them is 'Kveldssanger', the other older albums are all far more black metal orientated than anything I have heard Agalloch do.

Hmm, good point. Thanks, i'll need to check out some more Ulver it seems.

Agalloch / Catamenia / Einherjer / Empyrium / Ensiferum / Eternal Tears of Sorrow / Equilibrium / Falchion / Falkenbach / Månegarm / Menhir / Mithotyn / Nomans Land / Pagan Reign / Suidakra / Taunusheim / Thrudvangar / Wolfchant

Why don't you try Solitude Aeturnus?

Of course you cannot call them "folk", but they have many oriental elements in their (110% doom metal) music.

Korpiklaani's album "Spirit of the Forest" is pretty good folk metal, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned them yet.The only other bands I can think of that haven't been mentioned are Finntroll, Tyr and Wintersun. If you like Ensiferum you'll probably like WIntersun since it was formed by former Eniferum frontman Jari Mäenpää. It's got a lot more synthesizers and keyboards than Ensiferum ever had and I'm not really into them at all but...they fit the bill :)

Korpiklaani's album "Spirit of the Forest" is pretty good folk metal, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned them yet.The only other bands I can think of that haven't been mentioned are Finntroll, Tyr and Wintersun. If you like Ensiferum you'll probably like WIntersun since it was formed by former Eniferum frontman Jari Mäenpää. It's got a lot more synthesizers and keyboards than Ensiferum ever had and I'm not really into them at all but...they fit the bill :)

Korpiklaani fuckin rule, they'd have been on my list if I'd realized they werent :lol: