folk

metu

Nov 21, 2002
MI, USA
Visit site
so what's going on down there with the mixture of folk and metal? i've heard a band do it really well, but i forget where i found it. they were a new band with only a demo.

Heheh.

As far as I´m concerned, folk music is native country music...
The only folk metal music I remember now is "The Village of Dwarves", by Rhapsody. At least Turilli thinks so.

And that was just an example, I really dislikes Rhapsody +_+

like Vicious said, music from your country. salsa metal...tango de muerte...metal that could only come from Latin/South America. stuff that sometimes sounds like what your parents listen to...maybe...especially... with traditional instruments.

introhate.jpg

I can't see your pic, but thanks for bumping my topic. :]

I don't think I was looking back far enough with my examples. I found some of what I was looking for in "Roots", by Sepultura. When it get's into that tribal stuff, I feel like I can feel the pulse of the Amazon. That's what I'm looking for.

Mixing your metal with your roots. Great things happen when you do it.

Any suggestions?

Folk and metal? go get Beyond The Wandering Moon and ...And So The Night Became by Aeternus, death metal with folk influences.

Jugulator: I've heard some Angra. I don't think I've noticed the traditional south american influence. I'm not sure, though. I've started my research again and I'll check them out again. It got to the point where half of the stuff I was listening to, I didn't know who it was.

Can anyone suggest an Angra album which does anything like what Roots does?

I don't know...Roots just kicks me in the nuts in the best way. :]

Djöfull: You icelandic link dropping dynamo! Puya is really cool, from what I've heard so far. I checked out the samples on cdnow.com and it really seems like Fundamental is very salsa with metal parts. It seems like the next one, I forget the name, leans more toward the rap angle. I don't have a problem with the rap angle, hell I'm a rap fan, but it's very disapointing to see a very unique band go toward the mainstream. That new album's in english, too. Fuck that. Have you heard it?

What I've heard from Fundamental is just great, thouh.

Ultimate_Symphony: I'm familiar with Aeternus. Thanks, though.

thanx for kind words :) I´ve got both albums.
Fundamental is much better, the brass instruments are in only a few songs on the second album Union, but there are about 3 songs that kick ass
when I heard the first 3 songs of that album I was like WHATTAFUCK this sounds average and it´s in english and where are the latino salsa parts??, but they sing about 30-40% spanish on that album and have some cool percussion and brass stuff

Hey metu,

Well, as Angra has a different style of Sepultura, maybe you won't like it, but try the album Holy land. It has many brazilian folklore music influences, however differently from Roots. Roots is influenced by Indian culture or music. Anyways check Holy Land out.
Cheers

Djöfull: Yep. From what I heard the horns on Fundamental are the main difference. I've always liked the funk and metal mix and thought that a funky horns section with a metal band would be...beter than words can describe. Then, it seems like they've not only lost the horns, but those funky basslines. I sure hope they get back to that funky salsa metal. That shit's the bomb.

Jugulator: Right on. That will be my first Anga album for sure. I'll keep you posted, but I'm very low on funds at the moment so be patient. I've checked their samples at their website again and, as much as I'm sick of keyboards, they're really good.

Hell-o to all, am from Colombia/Venezuela, until today I saw there was a Latin America Forum :)
Check out this great Metal/rock band:

Tenhi: DArk Rock (acoustic guitars/Drums!!/flutes)
Otyg: Folk Rock (vintersorg sings there)
Empyrium: some folk/metal songs

:wave:

John Carvajal said:
Hell-o to all, am from Colombia/Venezuela, until today I saw there was a Latin America Forum :)
Check out this great Metal/rock band:

Tenhi: DArk Rock (acoustic guitars/Drums!!/flutes)
Otyg: Folk Rock (vintersorg sings there)
Empyrium: some folk/metal songs

:wave:

Sorry

1. ...great Metal/rock FOLK bands
2. Tenhi: DArk Rock FOLK band (really great!!!!!!!)

Musicaria from Ecuador plays a very good mix of reggae and metal. They acually do both very well. I've got a few of their mp3s and I can't find their site on my lists, so I probably got them from mp3.com.