Folk/Folk Rock Recommendations.

Burkhard said:
Gåte - Excellent Norwegian folk rock band! There are two videos - one for downloading, one for live-streaming - on their website. Also check out the mp3s on their myspace-page, especially "Følgje" and "Knut liten og Sylvelin". (The original songtitles - not the songs themselves - have been somewhat shortened there.)
+1. Gåte is great. a very fresh sounding band. there are also some videos on youtube

well, folkish or not...when it comes to the world of folk music, and even folk rock more specifically...a genre typically dignified by its soul, emotion, honesty and integrity...a band like Finntroll really doesnt have much place in my opinion. aside from there being far better folk acts anyway.

Either way Finntroll are a great band they have a really cool fun atmosphere to their music.

Why not call them "fun metal", that has to be better than the "crap metal" tag which they must be used to :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, I must praise this band that I am listening to called 3rd and the Mortal. Only there first two albums are metal but there "Sorrow" EP especially is mind-blowing stuff, filled with emotion and intensity, with mostly acoustic but also has some distorted guitars as well. I am sure that most of you have heard this band. I don't know exactly what category they fall under.

^didnt like painting on glass. apparantly their early stuff is doom-metal, mebbe i should check that out. probably not tho

Conspirator said:
Gåte is great. a very fresh sounding band. there are also some videos on youtube
And there´s an excerpt of one of their concerts (about 23 mintues) which you can watch as online-stream, if you go to this page and click on the second video-link. (Before the actual concert video starts, there´ll be a short commercial.) I´m already looking forward to Gåte´s live-DVD.

metal_wrath said:
On a serious note, I must praise this band that I am listening to called 3rd and the Mortal. Only there first two albums are metal but there "Sorrow" EP especially is mind-blowing stuff, filled with emotion and intensity, with mostly acoustic but also has some distorted guitars as well. I am sure that most of you have heard this band. I don't know exactly what category they fall under.
I´d say (gothic/atmospheric) doom. If you like "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth", you should also try Skumring (in case you haven´t already heard them) and visit their myspace-page. They remind me very much of early The Third And The Mortal, possibly also because their vocalist sounds similar to Kari Rueslåtten. Talking about the latter, there were some folk-influences on her official debut album "Spindelsinn" (mostly - IMO - in the songs "I månens favn", "Trollferd" and "Vintersol").

bob dylan
john prine
linda perhacs
fotheringay
nick drake
spirogyra
tudor lodge
tom waits
meic stevens
spriguns
trees

god don't listen to these noobs and their D-grade folk metal recommendations

illidurit said:
bob dylan
john prine
linda perhacs
fotheringay
nick drake
spirogyra
tudor lodge
tom waits
meic stevens
spriguns
trees

god don't listen to these noobs and their D-grade folk metal recommendations

exactly.

+ Tirill
+ Bodgers Mate
+ The Kings Of Convenience
+ Emma Nordenstam

If someone is interested in folk metal, I don't see how some retard on the internet is going to change that ^. Arent you the dumbass that called Leaves' Eyes and Mist and the Morning Dew "gay" and listed only Madder Mortem as a substitute.

+1 for Tom Waits, Mule Variations is on my top 10 all time faves list...amazing masterpiece, it sounds primitive, dark, i get a creepy small town vibe from it, like it makes any sense...and yes this cretin folk metal suggestions will lead you nowhere.