folk guitar

Vuashke

New Metal Member
Aug 8, 2008
aus
hi guys, first thread for me!

ive been playing fingerstyle guitar for a long time now (i enjoy it more than playing electric), and stuff like bach, de visee and other lute-orientated pieces, as well as all the soft opeth stuff

what id like to know is if anyone has any knowledge of folk guitar - specifically fingerstyle. does anyone have any recommendations for artists/bands? any particular songs or albums i should check out? i dont care if its just a folk or bluegrass band, or if its a metal band with folk parts. ive heard some celtic folk fingerstyle and id like to look into it more

thanks in advance,

vuashke

You should check out atleast Korpiklaani, they have awesome folk metal stuff.
Though I can't really recommend a video from youtube if you want acoustic or something like that -stuff.
I prefer checking out album Tervaskanto, it has many awesome songs such as Running with the wolves and Palovana, not forgetting Vesilahden veräjillä.

ok thanks im checking out korpiklaani now, will post feedback

they dont seem to have any fingerstyle stuff, just standard power chord shuffling, do they have any acoustic guitar fingerstyle songs?

weird obsession with alcohol these guys have

Don't know if it's what you're looking for, but October Falls has some pretty awesome folky acoustic albums. Try Marras, Tuoni or Sarastus. There's also some clips on YouTube:

Edit: of course I should also mention the great Kveldssanger by Ulver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also please check out anything by Doc Watson. He's a country flatpicker, but the guy SHREDS. He's blind, and he's old, but if you love the instrument, and you love music, you'll love what he can do.

EMPYRIUM !
Listen to these:

If you like it, the whole "Where At Night The Woodgrouse Plays" album is in that kind of instrumentation.

holy shit! andy mckee is awesome

thanks guys for the replies, i will check them all out although ive already heard if a few (leo kotke, empyrium). thanks!

wow they were all very nice thanks! i liked andy mckee the most but i enjoyed octobers fall, those empyrium tracks, blackmore's night and even the country player doc watson. definitely be clecking out more of these guys, ty all

really enjoyed this: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmE3QaGetn4&feature=related[/ame]

Not sure if you would consider him "folk" or not, but I've always admired Michael Hedges. He was an amazing guitarist (Check out some of his clips on Youtube). Also, have you ever listened to Tuck & Patti? Tuck is a monster when it comes to jazz playing behind a female vocalist (And they do a version of Castles Made of Sand that would make a statue cry).

Hedges and T&P have always been given the "new age" label since they were both (I believe) signed to Windham Hill. But it's a very unfair label to stick on them if you ask me.

I'd recommend Ulver's Kveldssanger. And some of Agalloch's more folky stuff, like the White Ep

yeah ive already heard those albums, they were really nice. im really liking this andy mckee guy, and theres alot of tabs available so i wont have to work hard to decipher what hes playing. awesome!

i must say that Art of Motion and When She Cries by Andy are incredibly fun to play...many thanks!

ive also found Don Ross and Dominic Frasco to be great fingerstyle players too, if anyone wants to check them out

i thought you wanted something more specifically folky than andy mckee ... but andy and don ross, and antoine dufour, and craig d'andrea and peter ciluzzi (all www.candyrat.com) are really great.

One of my favorite guitarist/singer/sonwriters is Richard Thompson. He played in Fairport Convention, thus he's a bit folkier. But he also rocks. His voice is distinctive, but I find it haunting. But let's focus on the playing: I saw him live in a middle school auditorium (wtf?) and had no idea who he was except, I was told by my boss that if I loved guitar, I'd love him. And I did. What a great show. It was very hard to believe that it was only one guitarist.

Here's one of my favorites by him, "1952 Vincent Black Lightning". It's different every single time he plays it, vocally, and in terms of his guitar improvs. This is a sweet version:

[ame]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=tF61W7SGNxU&feature=related[/ame]