Folk metal?

SwedishNorse

Tappra män från svealand
May 1, 2008
Sweden
Okey we all know that Folk metal is a metal genre to celebrate scandinavian culture right? well, Then what about scandinavian instruments?.. Anyone of you know any scandinavian instruments? okey the violin ( Wich isn't scandinavian ) is common here, But there are many scandinavian instruments that have been part of scandinavian Folk music and culture for centuaries, Now im not very educated in the danish or norweigian instruments sorry :(
But i'am in swedish instruments, And first i'd just like to add that when it comes to swedish danish and norweigian folk music there is actually some differences, Swedish folk music is commonly called "Polska", Why i don't know must be something from ancient sweden or something.. Polska is a swedish folk music that has a nice "swing" to it, and is the most common folk music in sweden aswell, One swedish instrument is our national instrument, The Nyckelharpa, Its a..strange instrument really, But it sounds simply beutifull, it resembles alot a violin, only more bass sound and a not so sharp sound as a violin, But more gentle and..well..ehm...something... Anyway, an other swedish instrument is the swedish BAGPIPE, yes (swedish) bagpipe, this instrument is actually quite rare these days and even most swedes don't know about it, But it has NOTHING to do whit the celtic bagpipe, as a mather of facts the first historical facts about the swedish bagpipe is from the 1400centuari, It doesn't even sound like a celtic bagpipe..

Well if you have never heard a swedish Nyckelharpa befor check this :)

Would be so awesome if there was a metal band using this instrument :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nyckelharpa is two handed..

Well, you could ask AA guys to use it in the new album...;) Can you imagine Johan playing it? That instrument in one hand, the microphone in the other hand, and the horn......mmmm..... no, too much work...:headbang:

And no, That song is from the swedish band "Garmarna" they do more "viking" instipred folk music, Some songs resembles swedish folk music, But the drums and all that is not part of our folk music, We like to use one or two instruments, More would just make it sound wierd.. Here this is typicall swedish polska ( whit a violin )

Yes, I was joking...I've seen it in the video. Then they would need another member to play the nickelharpa...;)

That part about garmarna was in the wrong topic, that movie about swedens nature the band playing is Garmarna, The one here whit the swedish nyckelharpa is a swedish folksong :p

the Kantele? I'm unclear if Finland is treated as part of Scandinavia... It's up there anyway.
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=7UmlWfylyCY[/ame]

The Nyckelharpa, or Hurdy Gurdy as it's called in English, can be found in the song In Blood We End by the underrated Swedish melodeath band Hypocrite. I can't think of any other songs that incorporate a Hurdy Gurdy though..

Hypocrite? you mean Hypocrisy?

The Nyckelharpa, or Hurdy Gurdy as it's called in English, can be found in the song In Blood We End by the underrated Swedish melodeath band Hypocrite. I can't think of any other songs that incorporate a Hurdy Gurdy though..

But, now, how old an instrumen are you looking for? I mean, a nyckelharpa, relatively speaking, is not a very old instrument (certainly not as old as the Swedish bag pipe). The Norwegians (and me) have Hardanger fiddles, which sound quite different from a regular fiddle (mine has 8 strings, some have 9), but again, the Hardanger is only about 150 years old. Horns and flutes of various types can be dated very far back, näverlurar and other lur-like instruments go back aways, too. A really cool instrument that makes a big difference in a musical arrangement is always the drum. We have some awfully cool pre-historic drums in Scandinavia. I'd like to hear one in a metal setting! AA used a blowing horn once... We use those a lot when we do Viking demos. The sound is awesome.

How old does it need to be? folkmusic doesn't have to come from the viking era, And the Nyckelharpa is from the 1600 centuari, old enough?

Yes the swedish bagpipe is older, And the oldest instrument i know of is the Birka Fluet, wich isn't used anymore.. and thats from the viking era in sweden..

But, now, how old an instrumen are you looking for? I mean, a nyckelharpa, relatively speaking, is not a very old instrument (certainly not as old as the Swedish bag pipe). The Norwegians (and me) have Hardanger fiddles, which sound quite different from a regular fiddle (mine has 8 strings, some have 9), but again, the Hardanger is only about 150 years old. Horns and flutes of various types can be dated very far back, näverlurar and other lur-like instruments go back aways, too. A really cool instrument that makes a big difference in a musical arrangement is always the drum. We have some awfully cool pre-historic drums in Scandinavia. I'd like to hear one in a metal setting! AA used a blowing horn once... We use those a lot when we do Viking demos. The sound is awesome.

Not quite a hurdygurdy, those have a wheel that sounds the strings. For one of those, well, pretty much every Eluveitie song has one. The nyckelharpa sounds pretty cool, hadn't heard one before. I like the hardingfele, those things have jsut a really cool sound.

A really cool instrument that makes a big difference in a musical arrangement is always the drum. We have some awfully cool pre-historic drums in Scandinavia. I'd like to hear one in a metal setting! AA used a blowing horn once... We use those a lot when we do Viking demos. The sound is awesome.

Do you have any video about those Viking demos that you can share here?

(By the way, nice to see you here again, we haven't seen you here for many days)

Okey we all know that Folk metal is a metal genre to celebrate scandinavian culture right?
TBH, no it's not.

Skyclad - The Silver Cloud's Dark Lining (UK)

(Sorry for lameass FF thing, only one I could find with this song)

Elvenking - White Willow (Italy)

Eluveitie - Of Fire, Wind & Wisdom (Switzerland)