Swedish Metal.

The problem about putting every band in a specific genre is that everytime a band fits into two genres a new one has to be invented that represents both .-) The next thing is that people think different about how music fits into a specific genre and therefore choose different genres for the same music. IMHO telling people that a band does not belong to a specific genre is a waste of time, since this is just their point of view about the music.

BackToTopic: Another band I like very much is Myrkgrav - Folkish Pagan Black Metal from Norway :loco:

Cheers :kickass:

I dont agree
They do rule, but so do Norway and Finnland
And theres many countries that produced awesome bands as well, thats why IMO i would open up a little your statement to Scandinavia rules over all metal.
Yeah. But Sweden wins in Scandanavia.
Consider:
Bathory
Amon Amarth
In Flames
Dark Tranquility
At The Gates
Soilwork
Astral Doors
Bloodbath
Candlemass
Dark Funeral
Dissection
Dimension Zero
Dismember
Dream Evil
Draconian
Grave
Hammerfall
Hypocrisy
Katatonia
Pain of Salvation
Opeth
Skyfire
Therion

Epic win.
But all in all Germany is a very metal country. Not so much for the bands for me (I listen to very few german metal bands) but for the number of metal festivals they have! Each summer it seems there are more metal festivals in Germany alone than in all other European countries... added together!
And relatively speaking (considering the population and size of the country)
Germany fucking wins when it comes to thrash...Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction, not to mention Dew-Scented and Holy Moses. Plus plenty of others I haven't bothered to check out yet.

viking metal is barely BARELY a subgenre.

It's essentially heavyish folk metal.

For me, Amon Amarth. Always. They are the best. But if I have to choose someone else............ mmmmm........... :Smug: Bathory. Oh! I've checked out Moonsorrow in Youtube (I didn't know them) and... not bad, not bad! but...... ssssshhhhhhhh don't tell anybody.......ssssshhhhhhh Amon Amarth are better!...sssssshhhhhhh

and i love you already!!! (in a non lesbian way i promise!) i dont know svartsot, but if you love the others, i must check them out!

edit: youtubing them.. me likey so far!

Norway:
Arcturus
Borknagar
Burzum
Carpathian forest
Cronian
Darkthrone
Dimmu borgir
Dodheimsgard
Einherjer
Emperor
Enslaved
Gehenna
Gorgoroth
Green carnation
Hades almighty
Immortal
Mayhem
Midnattsol
Old man's child
Ragnarok
Satyricon
Solefald
Spiral Architect
Taake
Theatre of tragedy
Tristania
Troll
Ulver
Windir

Finland:
Amorphis
Apocalyptica
Battlelore
Children of bodom
Ensiferum
Finntroll
Ghost brigade
Impaled nazarene
Kaliban
Kalmah
Korpiklaani
Kotipelto
Lordi
Moonsorrow
Nightwish
Norther
Sargeist
Sentenced
Sonata arctica
Stratovarius
Tolkki, Timo
Turisas
Warmen
Wintersun

Germany:
Abandoned
Accept
Atrocity
Avantasia
Axel Rudi Pell
Battlesword
Blind guardian
Brainstorm
Caliban
Dark fortress
Das ich
Die apokalyptischen reiter
Dionysus
Doro
Edguy
Eisbrecher
Equilibrium
Falkenbach
Finsterforst
Freedom call
Gamma ray
Galloglass
Grave digger
Helloween
Kiske, michael
Kreator
Lacrimas profundere
Leaves' eyes
Menhir
Nagelfar
Nargaroth
Necrophagist
Ninnghizhidda
Primal fear
Rammstein
Sodom
Suidakra
Tankard

and so many more i didnt put here because i have no idea how they sound.
If i dont know all of these, i have a fairly good idea of how it sounds.

Hi! The following is not Swedish metal, but is a Spanish band very popular here called Mago de Oz, this song in particular is one of their best songs, one of those whose lyrics everybody knows here. Just in case you want to check it: [ame]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=HG_zGUDQQH8[/ame]

Sweden still wins ;)
Know why?

Cuz when it comes to Viking metal, well... We made it ;)

Norway:
Arcturus
Borknagar
Burzum
Carpathian forest
Cronian
Darkthrone
Dimmu borgir
Dodheimsgard
Einherjer
Emperor
Enslaved
Gehenna
Gorgoroth
Green carnation
Hades almighty
Immortal
Mayhem
Midnattsol
Old man's child
Ragnarok
Satyricon
Solefald
Spiral Architect
Taake
Theatre of tragedy
Tristania
Troll
Ulver
Windir

Finland:
Amorphis
Apocalyptica
Battlelore
Children of bodom
Ensiferum
Finntroll
Ghost brigade
Impaled nazarene
Kaliban
Kalmah
Korpiklaani
Kotipelto
Lordi
Moonsorrow
Nightwish
Norther
Sargeist
Sentenced
Sonata arctica
Stratovarius
Tolkki, Timo
Turisas
Warmen
Wintersun

Germany:
Abandoned
Accept
Atrocity
Avantasia
Axel Rudi Pell
Battlesword
Blind guardian
Brainstorm
Caliban
Dark fortress
Das ich
Die apokalyptischen reiter
Dionysus
Doro
Edguy
Eisbrecher
Equilibrium
Falkenbach
Finsterforst
Freedom call
Gamma ray
Galloglass
Grave digger
Helloween
Kiske, michael
Kreator
Lacrimas profundere
Leaves' eyes
Menhir
Nagelfar
Nargaroth
Necrophagist
Ninnghizhidda
Primal fear
Rammstein
Sodom
Suidakra
Tankard

and so many more i didnt put here because i have no idea how they sound.
If i dont know all of these, i have a fairly good idea of how it sounds.

SwedishNorse :
Bathory.
But Sweden just wins over all for metal.

I dont agree
They do rule, but so do Norway and Finnland
And theres many countries that produced awesome bands as well, thats why IMO i would open up a little your statement to Scandinavia rules over all metal.

SwedishNorse :
Sweden still wins
Know why?

Cuz when it comes to Viking metal, well... We made it

I was still talking about metal all genre confonded. As far as i know, the viking trade wasnt only secluded only to Sweden. As far as metal goes now, if we consider Bathory to be the father of viking metal, ok, i agree. But that doesnt imply Sweden is the best in the category : its a shared status id say, with Norway and Finland.

Sweden still wins ;)
Know why?

Cuz when it comes to Viking metal, well... We made it ;)

Its cool that you're proud of your country. I'm all for patriotism.
Nonetheless that remark of yours doesn't stand.

For example, we the french invented cinema.. yet I'm very much willing to say that french cinema sure doesn't "win".

See what I mean? ;)

(and, again, my definition of Viking metal, which is folkish black metal, doesn't include Amon Amarth. But to each his own.)

Oy, This is scandinavian pride, We take pride in what we create simple as that, And i still say that swedish viking metal is the best, Better bands here then for example norway.

And yes we can, we are swedes, we do what we feel like ( Swedish stubborness increasing ) o_O :p

Its cool that you're proud of your country. I'm all for patriotism.
Nonetheless that remark of yours doesn't stand.

For example, we the french invented cinema.. yet I'm very much willing to say that french cinema sure doesn't "win".

See what I mean? ;)

(and, again, my definition of Viking metal, which is folkish black metal, doesn't include Amon Amarth. But to each his own.)

Yes it does, i mean hello?

If a norweigian tells a swede that norweigian metal rules, The swede will go "eat my shorts".

We are friendly rivals okey, been going at it for centuaries :D

And in my view, When it comes to Viking metal, Then its scandinavian or nothing.

SwedishNorse :

SwedishNorse :

I was still talking about metal all genre confonded. As far as i know, the viking trade wasnt only secluded only to Sweden. As far as metal goes now, if we consider Bathory to be the father of viking metal, ok, i agree. But that doesnt imply Sweden is the best in the category : its a shared status id say, with Norway and Finland.

There are more epically amazing bands from Sweden than from the rest of Scandinavia. Not to say that the Norway and Finland and whatnot aren't awesome, just that Sweden kicks too much ass.