Swedish Metal.

SwedishNorse

Tappra män från svealand
May 1, 2008
Sweden
Okey swedish metal, Well Viking metal for those who doesn't know was made by the swedish band Bathory ( RIP Qurthon ), Aswell as Viking Rock also being created by a swedish band, Bathory was also seen as one of the fathers of Black metal. Today Amon Amarth pretty much fockin' rule the Viking metal world, They are simply the best.

My question to you folks is: Exept AA, What viking metal band do ya like the most? :headbang:

I don't really consider AA a Viking Metal band. I'd say they're (Melodic) Death Metal with Viking-related lyrics.
But anyway my favorite Viking Metal band would be Falkenbach.

edit : oh, and if your question was about swedish bands i'd say Bathory. Kampfar are good too but I'm not sure they're swedish. :p

I don't really consider AA a Viking Metal band. I'd say they're (Melodic) Death Metal with Viking-related lyrics.

Agree, and agree again. AA are too heavy to be traditional 'viking' metal in my opinion. Falkenbach are fucking awesome though, for sure..check them out. My favorite of the bunch. But if your looking a little heavier than that, Ensiferum are good as well...if a little cheesy. To me though, all the 'viking' bands are cheesy except AA and Falkenbach.

i like Månegarm's Vargstenen, the others i hadnt had time to really listen to them.
Also Thyrfing, but im not sure if they are Sweds. I didnt knew Falkenback were Sweds, i though they were german. Personnaly i confond viking metal with folk, because i quite like both alot, as long as its scandie, i dont really care + german (like Finsterforst, Eluveitie(i know its from Switzerland), ...) dont worry i dont mix AA with folk metal.
so
Vintersorg
Einherjer (Blot)
Moonsorrow
Svartsot
Finntroll
Ensiferum
Tyr
Turisas

as people who know me already know.. i consider moonsorrow, finntroll and falkenbach to be the best viking/folk metal..moonsorrow may have a LITTLE cheese, but not alot i think, finntroll is pretty cheesy, but i bloody well love it! i still think AA is viking metal as their theme is always viking related, but id say theyre viking/melodic death..

Actually, Falkenbach is just one person. He had session musicians for his recording sessions, though. I really love his music!

If you're looking for a band that sounds more death metal like, check out Unleashed. They are from Sweden, too. Their new album is released in June and you can listen to samples and new songs on their website right now. Cheers :kickass:

edit : oh, and if your question was about swedish bands i'd say Bathory. Kampfar are good too but I'm not sure they're swedish. :p

Well viking metal is a sub genre, So yes they do make viking metal, Ya bathory owns, just sad that quorthon had to go and die :(

Aside from AA, who is my favorite band of all, I love Moonsorrow, Svartsot and Finntroll the most. <3

I maintain my statement; for me, AA isn't a Viking metal band.

Oh, and I know Falkenbach isn't swedish.. I put that band in my first post because I thought the guy asked for Viking Metal bands in general... then I edited my post to add swedish bands (because I realised I didn't name a swedish band).

As for my favorite metal country, its hard to say but the first countries which popped in my head were Norway, Sweden and Finland.
But all in all Germany is a very metal country. Not so much for the bands for me (I listen to very few german metal bands) but for the number of metal festivals they have! Each summer it seems there are more metal festivals in Germany alone than in all other European countries... added together!
And relatively speaking (considering the population and size of the country) Belgium is pretty damn good too.

Yes it IS viking metal, Go and read what viking metal is, Its a sub genre, You can make viking metal out of any type of metal really, So yes it IS viking metal.

I maintain my statement; for me, AA isn't a Viking metal band.

Oh, and I know Falkenbach isn't swedish.. I put that band in my first post because I thought the guy asked for Viking Metal bands in general... then I edited my post to add swedish bands (because I realised I didn't name a swedish band).

As for my favorite metal country, its hard to say but the first countries which popped in my head were Norway, Sweden and Finland.
But all in all Germany is a very metal country. Not so much for the bands for me (I listen to very few german metal bands) but for the number of metal festivals they have! Each summer it seems there are more metal festivals in Germany alone than in all other European countries... added together!
And relatively speaking (considering the population and size of the country) Belgium is pretty damn good too.

Well the differences is that Viking metal, Viking rock was invented in sweden, But ya scandinavian metal owns :)

I dont agree
They do rule, but so do Norway and Finnland
And theres many countries that produced awesome bands as well, thats why IMO i would open up a little your statement to Scandinavia rules over all metal.

Anyone of you ever heard Mithotyn? Great band actually, And Månegarm, However whit månegarm, if my info is correct they have alittle "rasistic" views, Well their music is good atleast :)

I dont agree
They do rule, but so do Norway and Finnland
And theres many countries that produced awesome bands as well, thats why IMO i would open up a little your statement to Scandinavia rules over all metal.
1000% Agree

Yes it IS viking metal, Go and read what viking metal is, Its a sub genre, You can make viking metal out of any type of metal really, So yes it IS viking metal.
No, saying that the definition of viking metal is "a band that speaks about vikings", isn't right. IMO, viking metal is the mix between black metal and folk metal with the viking based lyrics, and I don't see the black metal influence on Amon Amarth, neither the folky part.