Scandinavian Folk music

BurningSky

rxbandits.com
Jan 13, 2004
www.myspace.com
So I'm doing a project for school about scandinavian folk, more specifically folk music of Norway. I'm wondering if anyone knows any artists/bands that play this music, or music inspired by/incorporating it. They can be metal, rock, or anything really, it doesn't matter. Also, music that incorporates Viking culture within its themes. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Enslaved, especially early albums like Vikingligr Veldi, Eld, Frost and Blodhelm. I also recommend finding interviews with Ivar or Grutle, they're both very thoughtful when it comes to Viking philosophies and how they've incorporated those themes into their work.

plenty of black/death bands that specifically fall into the 'Viking' territory: Moonsorrow, Windir, Thyrfing, Ensiferum, Borknagar, etc

Amorphis' album Elegy was based on the Kanteletar, which is a written document of about 700 ancient Finnish poems and ballads

and some bands that metal fans enjoy are purely folk, like Finland's Tenhi.

you won't lack for material.

-gg

Isengard was a folk side prject from... I think Satyr and Fenris. They went hiking in the mountains in Norway and recorded that album. Its hard to find but its a good one. Also Ulver put out an acoustic album by the name of Kveldsjanger, very good.

But those metal bands doing folk music. As for real folk music, I have this Kantele CD with old Finnish folk songs. Try typing in Kantele on a search engine or a music download site. The Kantele is an old folk instrument from Finland. The Finnish mythological hero Väinämöinen played a kantele. Väinämöinen was the inspiration for Gandalf in LOTR. Some nerd info for ya there :)

Isengard was a folk side prject from... I think Satyr and Fenris. They went hiking in the mountains in Norway and recorded that album. Its hard to find but its a good one.

Actually that side project was called Storm, I mixed it up with another Fenris side project.

Storm "Nordavind" this is really folky!

ulver clearly slaughters, I'm talking about the contrived supermelodic 'folk' metal that has far more to do with appealing to adolescent metal noobs who think it's really really cool to worship odin than it does creating sincere folk influenced music

examples of complete shit: korpiklaani, thyrfing, amon amarth, ugh I don't want to think about this crap anymore

Värttinä is a group from Finland that play their own unique folk style music. They have nothing to do with metal but the sing in a very traditional Finnish style.

Yeah, I'm definitely more so interested in bands that aren't metal, I just figured most people here would know folkish metal bands if anything. Thanks for the suggestions so far though.