Folk metal?

Okey we all know that Folk metal is a metal genre to celebrate scandinavian culture right?

yeah I thought that was quite an exagerated sentence myself. :)

On a personal level, i'd chose celtic folk over nordic folk any day, although I do like both...
For me the best folk metal bands are more celtic-oriented musically, with of course, some exception like Korpiklaani and such.

Yeah well all those sucks, not important *nods nods* ;)
:mad::mad::mad:
As a note, if you watch the Eluveitie video, that's a hurdygurdy at the beginning you see.
They have a full-time hurdy-gurdyist.
On a personal level, i'd chose celtic folk over nordic folk any day, although I do like both...
For me the best folk metal bands are more celtic-oriented musically, with of course, some exception like Korpiklaani and such.
Because celtic folk is cooler than scandinavian folk, in general.

For me Celtic folk wins too, hands down. Especially the rebel stuff.

In fact, i'd go so far as to say that metal has its roots in Celtic music. Most of the early British colonists in America were of Scots-Irish extraction, and they brought their Celtic music with them, which morphed into Bluegrass and country. Bluegrass and country eventually evolved into rock & roll, which of course gave birth to metal.

Wanna find the roots of metal? Look to the misty green bogs of Eire and the Scottish highlands.:)

Anyway, for those who like Celtic folk, i highly recommend you check out Waylander if you haven't already. I tell ya, they won't disappoint!

www.myspace.com/clanwaylander

They just posted two fucking killer new songs from their upcoming album.

But while Celtic folk might rule in general, i'd have to say that the king of all folk metal bands is Pagan Reign from Russia.

www.myspace.com/paganreign

If that's not some of the best folk-metal ever made, then i don't know what is.

:kickass:

Skyforger
Aes Dana

The next Myrkgrav album will have Hardanger Fiddle and Tussel Flute native to Norway. Since the last album was the best in viking metal, I have high hopes for this one.

i'd go so far as to say that metal has its roots in Celtic music. Most of the early British colonists in America were of Scots-Irish extraction, and they brought their Celtic music with them, which morphed into Bluegrass and country. Bluegrass and country eventually evolved into rock & roll, which of course gave birth to metal.

Wanna find the roots of metal? Look to the misty green bogs of Eire and the Scottish highlands.:)

Yeah.. totally! of course.. honorable mentions to jazz and blues for also playing some minor part of the evolution of metal.. :loco: :loco:
Metal does have ONE of its roots in Celtic music. It, however, has most of its roots in black music.

Yeah.. totally! of course.. honorable mentions to jazz and blues for also playing some minor part of the evolution of metal.. :loco: :loco:
Metal does have ONE of its roots in Celtic music. It, however, has most of its roots in black music.

:loco::loco::loco:

Can you point out where i said that NO other peoples contributed to the development heavy metal??

The fact is American folk/blues/country can trace its lineage to the poet musicians from the British Isles. Obviously since its export from the isles, many non-Celtic musicians have made considerable contributions to its evolution and the various different directions it has taken.

actually, polska does not origin from sweden, but hardly anything does (except nyckelharpan of course)... but it is the closest thing we got ;) it's a amazing feeling though... playing/dancing to a really cool polska.

hurdy gurdy is called a vevlira in swedish, and has a striking resembelance to silverharpan, which was the "ancestor" of nyckelharpan. it plays on all strings at the same time aswell, nyckelharpan does not.

hardangerfelan feels like a mixup between nyckelharpa and violin... thinking about the sympathetic strings... beautiful! i play both violin and nyckelharpa, wish i could manage the hardangerfela aswell :)

i think a lot of the swedish folkmusic has contributed to the "gothenburg metalsound"...

The Nyckelharpa, or Hurdy Gurdy as it's called in English, can be found in the song In Blood We End by the underrated Swedish melodeath band Hypocrite. I can't think of any other songs that incorporate a Hurdy Gurdy though..

Nyckelharpa:
Nyckelharpa_built_by_Eric_Sahlstrom.jpg

Hurdy gurdy:
800px-Louvet_Drehleier.JPG

They are two very different instruments. The Hurdy gurdy uses a crank which moves a wheel inside the body that functions a lot like a violin bow. It's essentially a mechanical violin, but the Nyckelharpa uses a bow on the outside.

A band that uses a Hurdy gurdy:

Last edited by a moderator: