Folk & Metal

Kenneth R.

Cináed
Oct 28, 2004
Hallways of Always
We need a fresh thread.

Listeners of 'folk metal', do you also listen to folk music? If so, name some favorites or post links.

Or if you don't, proffer your best examples of folk metal.

I write and perform acoustic folk music. I usually prefer my folk with a bit of an edge and usually some incorporation of world music or Americana. Some of my favorite folk artists:

William Elliott Whitmore

The Duhks

Common Rotation

And of course, Tom Waits (who is debatably a folk artist):

I would love to hear opinions on good folk metal with melodic, clean vocals. I love folk music. I love metal. But every single folk metal band I've found uses nothing but guttural/screaming vocals. Takes all of the "folk" out of it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really funny you mention The Duhks. They would have been on my list too.

These are all great.

I will add:

Shook Twins. Seriously, any song, any album. I may post more later. This is off their new disc.

The Scarlet Furies. Like the other video above, sorry all I could find were shitty camcorder recordings of live performances. But this band is fucking fantastic. That voice. YES. If you can find "Young Goodman Brown" check that shit out. Youtube's got a bunch of other ones too. Bluegrass Hamlet is kickass.

The Wailin' Jennys. Please more of this. Love vocal harmonies.

The Duhks again. Audio is pretty low on this cam.

The Imagined Village. I will want to post more of these guys too. They're fucking fantastic. Any album. Check out the songs "My Son John", "New York Trader", "Sick Old Man" and... all the rest.

Here's another Shook Twins.

As for folk metal, I listen to the stuff, but yes - it's pretty much impossible to find anything without dm vox. Which I'm okay with. That's just how it gets adapted. Some of the better ones recently have been Moonsorrow, Agalloch, Summoning, Eluveitie, Tyr. Saor, Equilibrium, Panopticon, Turisas (2nd, 3rd album)

I had a year-long binge in folk music.

I'm not a big fan of American roots folk-y music. Bob Dylan etc. don't do much for me. The Imagined Village is a cool band with a few great songs, but I find them very inconsistent. Probably because they're all over the place.

Among modern American folk offerings, Fleet Foxes is probably my favorite. They're oh-so-popular, but that doesn't mean squat to me.

Folk & Rackare, Swedish folk, probably the most 'pure' folk I listen to.

I couldn't find their best song on youtube, "Harpans kraft."

Garmarna, Swedish electronic folk. Like F&R, they base a lot of their stuff on medieval tunes.

Lumsk, Norwegian folk rock, sometimes metal. Det Vilde Kor is one of the best albums ever made. The lyrics are taken from Knut Hamsun's work by the same name (Det Vilde Kor - the wild choir) written in the early 1900s.

Then, of course, there are the British folk-rock bands of the 60s/70s. Trees, The Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Tudor Lodge, Mellow Candle, and many more.
Among them, I've found Steeleye Span's Hark! The Village Wait to be the best album:

But this is of course if we're excluding stuff like Jethro Tull (who would otherwise top the list with Songs from the Woods and Heavy Horses) and bands which didn't really identify themselves as "folk bands". Even the Beatles had folk songs on their repertoire.

Two somewhat popular non-British European folk bands of the 70s-and-later are Folque (Nor-Swe) and Malicorne (Fra). Both are very hit-and-miss from what I've heard. Folque has some very beautiful songs tho:

I love folk music. I love metal. But every single folk metal band I've found uses nothing but guttural/screaming vocals. Takes all of the "folk" out of it for me.

It all depends on how you define folk. If we're talking about the Nordic/Celtic/whatever type of "ancient" folk stuff, the harsh vocals really add to the vide, and that's the kind of stuff that pretty much every folk metal band I know deals in. If you're looking for a type of folk metal where the "folk" refers to Bob Dylan and the like, well, I'm not sure it exists or how something like that would even work.

Can't say that I listen to much non-metal folk other than Dylan. Is Bon Iver folk? Their self-titled is pretty damn good.

Wow, I have so much new music to listen to.

Ken, I'm loving the Shook Twins, beautiful harmonies! Blood harmony is always the best. Brandi Carlile, who is amazing in her own right, has a pair of twins in her band and whenever they sing harmony it's simply perfect.

It all depends on how you define folk. If we're talking about the Nordic/Celtic/whatever type of "ancient" folk stuff, the harsh vocals really add to the vide, and that's the kind of stuff that pretty much every folk metal band I know deals in. If you're looking for a type of folk metal where the "folk" refers to Bob Dylan and the like, well, I'm not sure it exists or how something like that would even work.

I would love to hear some Celtic folk metal. I have some pretty deep Irish roots, my family plays Irish folk, I play Irish folk/pub songs come St. Patrick's Day (the only day of the year where getting paid to play simple music is really, really easy). To a certain degree, most traditional Celtic tunes sound better if the vocals are a little rough. However, I still want to hear a melody.

In my opinion, folk is based around a community. If you're sitting around and someone starts playing folk songs, you don't have to know the song to enjoy it or understand it. The lyrics generally tell a story that is easily identifiable. DM vocals (for the most part) are pretty impossible to understand without reading a lyrics sheet. If I have to go and look up the lyrics online to understand what is being said, I'm not listening to a story. So while the music may be amazing, indecipherable lyrics and vocals strip away the thing I enjoy most about folk.

Dunno about Celtic folk, but among bands oft-labled 'celtic', I kind of like Iona, even thought they suffer a bit from Christian rock syndrome.

Other than that, the closest I have to anything 'celtic' in my playlist is... Enya and.... Primordial? :D

I guess there's Falkenbach but they're more like... Bathory/Viking-like.

Yeah, I thought of Primordial too. At least people label them as being Celtic in some way.

^--- Written around events in fairly recent Irish history, and it's all clean vocals too!

I couldn't find a youtube link, but Kate Price - Place of Spirit is my favourite folk song. (From the albüm Deep Heart's Core). I'm not too much into any folk, but they are either too deep, or too cliche. A person who is very much into Folk says that each folk songs are very different from each other, but I'm not among them.

I don't know if it counts as folk, but it sounds like folk to me, and its fucking badass that the guitarist uses an 8 string. I present to you Little Tybee:

I cannot paste youtube links since I'm at work, but check Espers - II, if you haven't already.

Edit: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeGlI1-OFu0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeGlI1-OFu0[/ame]