metal -> folk transition

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I know we've probably covered this already, but the discussion from the Moonsorrow thread got me thinking....

So if one likes metal, and also likes metal with folk influences (or 'folk-metal' if you will) then what real folk bands should one check out first?

When drawing the path, try to graduate the transition from metal to folk as gradually as you can.

I don't really listen to real folk music, tbh.

even the most folky neofolk stuff like Empyrium, Death In June, Current 93, In Gowan Ring, etc. albums are pretty closely tied to metal, postindustrial and contemporary music genres.

MajestikMøøse;5668246 said:
even the most folky neofolk stuff like Empyrium, Death In June, Current 93, In Gowan Ring, etc. albums are pretty closely tied to metal, postindustrial and contemporary music genres.

Where's the best place to start with Death in June or Current 93? And does Sol Invictus get lumped in with this crowd?

Death In June - But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter?
Current 93 - Thunder Perfect Mind

Sol Invictus is lumped into this crowd too yeah. I recommend from them "In The Rain", "The Killing Tide", or the live album "Let Us Prey"

I wouldn't consider the bands in this thread "real folk," but art bands using folk styles mixed with art music. Real folk, strictly speaking, shouldn't even be a product or something that is theorized about and learned, though of course with mass media, global culture etc. it's become commodified too. Nothing wrong with that really, just different.

That said, Comus - First Utterance has been blowing my mind lately, and I'm sure I'm not the only one around here because it was someone on this board who recommended it to me.

Other stuff like the Incredible String Band, Fairport Convention, Forest (late 60s/70s British band), Bob Dylan, and so many others are starting to pique my interest lately. Then there's that Stan Rogers guy I reco'd once and pretty much nobody listens, he is a definite favourite of mine.

Then we get into the free-folk improv jam bands that seem to exist all over the world these days. Finland has a huge scene(Avarus, Uton etc etc), California ain't far behind, Japan has a bunch of great music (all I have is one album by some folks called L - Holy Letters). The list goes on.

That Chinese stuff Tully uploaded was pretty damn good too, very percussive, with lots of subtle rhythmic changes and shit going on.

The only Sol Invictus I've really heard more than once is The Devil's Steed, which must be one of the more stripped-down releases, and I think it rules.

MajestikMøøse;5668246 said:
Quoted for truth. If you want "real" folk, the best place to look is old recordings and traditionalist outfits.

I've occationally enjoyed folk music long before I got into metal and like it even more now. Not very surprising considering that I'm a romantic who likes to long for times gone by and better ways of beeing and living.

Here's a song by a young and traditional swedish folk group, called Ranarim: YouSendIt: The Leader in File Delivery. This is the kind of folk music I like; traditional and devoid of rock or prog influences. Enjoy.

Demilich said:
It seems almost impossible not to be these days!

Do you find it ironic that you're posting about this on a decidedly modern invention?

I was trying to recall an appropriate Evola quote that would be nice here, but I can't seem to recall it. Perhaps it wasn't from Evola at all. Maybe it was from Guénon, Joscelyn Godwin, Guido Stucco or H.T. Hansen...

In any case, it was something to the effect of: 'it is the great irony of our age that the wide availability of knowledge as only available to us as such in the modern world assists us to come to such conclusions'

Furious B said:
I have yet to get Rose Clouds of Holocaust.

thoughts?

Rose Clouds is nice. Certainly banned in Germany because of it's provocative title piece, but similar in style and quality to B,WEWTSS although it's not quite as depressive as that album.

It seems almost impossible not to be these days!

Do you find it ironic that you're posting about this on a decidedly modern invention? :loco:

No, not at all. It's the essence I'm after, the shifting material conditions are not that important. Though they obviously affect one to some extent. Now listen to the song I uploaded you bum!

This sounds very nice, spaffe! Thanks a lot!

I have to say that I don't mind some contemporary influences in folk as long a it is well done... like last night I was listening to Dungen's 3rd album. I don't like it as much as the previous 2, much more polished, but a lot of good ideas and very nice vocals.