Non-metal folk recommendations

The Moon and the Night Spirit's first album has some fine material to be had, but that's the only release I need from them.

What makes you think they're hippies?

Edit- Listening to the track you posted. Outstanding! :kickass:

I think I'm lookin more for traditional folk groups, not just folk releases/side-projects of metal bands. Triakel is a pretty good example of basically what I'm interested in.

Another reco (that no one will listen to probably... whatever I'm bored)
Muzsikás - Blues for Transylvania
This album is an incredible piece of work that comes with a pretty intense story. During of Ceauşescu's reign of Romania, he was trying hard to eradicate the Hungarian presence in Transylvania. Convinced that this culture was soon to be just a memory, a collection of Hungarian-Transylvanian folk songs were recorded in order to have something of these people survive. That collection is this album: "Blues for Transylvania". Of all places, I heard about this album from my father, who in turn learned of it through a Hungarian client of his. A lotta passion in this album, methinks.
Here's a few tracks:
http://download.yousendit.com/65CD652B210AEECC

http://download.yousendit.com/715F8EB76A8A85A9

http://download.yousendit.com/1FA19F2B18AF8AD0

Yeah, I'll upload some stuff by them a bit later. I saw them live, they are fantastic.

so i got an itunes store gift card and got maaaet, and of course with the itunes store you can only get the DRM-crippleware you-can-only-listen-to-it-on-itunes-and-ipod AAC format. i'd really like to burn it. anybody care to share their mp3 versions of the trax safe in the knowledge that the artist has been adequately (or not-so-adequately, depending on their label) reimbursed for my enjoyment of their artistic efforts??

on a related note, if this is the future of music sales we might as well all start hailing the end of the majors' reign of error...

p.s. maaaet is godlike

so i got an itunes store gift card and got maaaet, and of course with the itunes store you can only get the DRM-crippleware you-can-only-listen-to-it-on-itunes-and-ipod AAC format. i'd really like to burn it. anybody care to share their mp3 versions of the trax safe in the knowledge that the artist has been adequately (or not-so-adequately, depending on their label) reimbursed for my enjoyment of their artistic efforts??

on a related note, if this is the future of music sales we might as well all start hailing the end of the majors' reign of error...

p.s. maaaet is godlike

there is an option in iTunes that allows you to convert the files to Mp3.

there is an option in iTunes that allows you to convert the files to Mp3.

negatory my friend, that allows you to convert the default m4a to mp3. HOWEVER, when you buy files from the itunes STORE, they come in a protected AAC format that you are NOT allowed to convert, thus insuring your continued adherence to the apple product line :mad:

seriously, i know people have this album. i'm not tryin to be a jew, i just want to burn it!

I bought a CD from Target about 10 years ago just called Forest and it's on par with Kveldssanger.

Also, lol at the term "non-metal folk." I have to go listen to non-jazz hip hop now.

I bought an album from Tower Records called "Forest" by the London Symphony Orchestra which is on par with me burping under a pine. Seriously, every God damn song has rain samples and birds chirping. Garbage!

Somebody recommend some psych-folk. I don't know jack about this hippie genre but I'm familiar with Espers (and love the hell out of them),Six Organ of Admittance (I had no fucking clue they were considered psych-folk), and have recently heard a little from Arborea (who I'm currently trying to track down more samples of). There is also apparently a good psych-folk compilation about there called Golden Apples of the Sun but from that I've heard very little.