Panopticon - "Roads to the North" Black/Folk/Atmospheric/Death metal

MFJ

Jan 20, 2004
Behind the mist.

Anyone listen to this one yet? I think it's great.

Black/Folk/Atmospheric/Melodic death with some pretty unusual instruments (Banjo, Mandolin, Resonator guitar, Dobro, according to metal-archives). pretty fast-paced with a ton of melody. all recorded by one guy. this fellow recorded the drums for the Noltem EP and that is how i discovered his music. the compositional talent here is pretty undeniable. love the melodeth influences, and the folk sections are top notch (see "Where Mountains Pierce the Sky").

Last edited by a moderator:
I approve of live drums for Noltem.

I remain indifferent toward things USBM. The way lurch feels about Nile never visiting Egypt explains this casual emotion of my own, regarding dudes from Tennessee lamenting about Valhalla (for example). At the same time, I don't really give a shit.

Anywho, this music is unique enough to have piqued my interest!

I ended up hitting play, made it as far as the instrumental. Fuck this banjo toting happy metal bullshit. :yuk:

Superior banjo performance! :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
I approve of live drums for Noltem. I remain indifferent toward things USBM. The way lurch feels about Nile never visiting Egypt explains this casual emotion of my own, regarding dudes from Tennessee lamenting about Valhalla (for example). At the same time, I don't really give a shit. Anywho, this music is unique enough to have piqued my interest!

I'm listening to this now, and it is riddled with blue grass and and elder-American folk stylings, which might seem contradictory but meld brilliantly with his black metal approach. I seriously think more people should check this and the prior album, "Kentucky" out, pronto.