Viking folk, death black metal

Belgar

The Wallonian Redneck.
Hail och hur är det mina vapenbroder and to you all comrades of the drinking horn ......... :Spin: Notice my try in Svenska, I am learning it by myself.
Many of my metal friends here in Florida seem to look at me all weird when I let them listen to bands like Otyg, Finntroll, Thyrfing, Vintersorg, Einherjer,... Any of you into these bands or you think it does not mix with the death/black metal genre. I personnaly think that the melodic/folk metal with some touch of black metal makes a pretty good mix. Many of the songs remind me of the old european folk or tales that I grew up with and a way to remain close to my roots now that I live in the US. Maybe something that my US friends cannot relate to ..... What do you think?

I don't have a whole lot of material in this field, just an Einherjer disc and a Moonsorrow one. It certainly is a nice change from the usual black/death metal, though sometimes it gets just a bit funky. (Moonsorrow for example uses this twangy kind of thing in one of their songs that sounds like a party favor.) But yeah, I think it's a good thing overall.

i like einherjer alot! they kick ass... thyrfing i like and currently im getting into enslaved and ensiferum (newcommers, 2001)! i think ensiferum is one of the best in the genre from what ive herd so far, you should check out the song OLD MAN which is pretty good.
so your not the only guy who likes this stuff...

I also like a lot of Viking metal bands. Like all the ones you listed, especially. I've been a big Thyrfing fan for a number of years. Can't believe that they are all basically 23 years old! Wow. lol I think it's just that you live in Florida. Here, my friends are like, what the hell are you listening to? And then they want to know more about the band that I'm playing. There are so many great bands in this genre. I would really make sure to check out Mithotyn as well. :) Which Thyrfing cd did you get?

Squeak said:
I also like a lot of Viking metal bands. Like all the ones you listed, especially. I've been a big Thyrfing fan for a number of years. Can't believe that they are all basically 23 years old! Wow. lol I think it's just that you live in Florida. Here, my friends are like, what the hell are you listening to? And then they want to know more about the band that I'm playing. There are so many great bands in this genre. I would really make sure to check out Mithotyn as well. :) Which Thyrfing cd did you get?

Yeah I'm pretty much with the babe on this one, Viking Metal more or less rocks my sock, my favorites being Amon Amarth, Ensiferum and Manegarm...

Then of course... Suidakra, Falkenbach, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Mithotyn, Vintersorg, Forefather, Windir, Thyrfing, Alleigance (swe)... and without making a fucking agelong list: The whole bloody lot of em'

And whereas my Fatherland is... most of Northwestern europe... my Living place is america, as has my various families lineage for varying times of 200-80 years basically...

Depressing when the land your forefathers strode upon is an ocean away, only far when your not Rich... being an Anti-Conformist artsy Musician rebel type doesn't really help your wallet, sometimes I wish I could just make a Neo-Viking fleet of small combat ships modelled after the Dragon boats of lore and rape, Pilliage and conquer for a living... whos game? put some laser cannons on that shit and we'll rip the hell out of the larger, bulkier, slower and less highspeed combat ready Military fleets of the world... Brits vs. The Spanish armada style :tickled:

i personally think that mixing folk with black and/or death is usually very nice even such extreme ones as finntroll :)

Brainkisser said:
Moonsorrow for example uses this twangy kind of thing in one of their songs that sounds like a party favor

i belive you refer to a jew's harp, and i've seen other foreign people say it sounds weird but i like it, and i think most people here i sweden do since it's part of a lot of folk songs, but i'll agree with that i sometimes can sound a bit comical if it's used wrongly so to speak.

Viking metal is Seriously popular in me homeland (as far from norrland as we are...) i think that Bathory is the one to thank for this wave of viking related metal, as well as Vintersorg who gave this field of metal a more folkish proportion with the usage of tred. instruments and origin tongue.

Not only northern folk music is suitable in metal, but also some other different root such as mid. european - for example: Angizia from Austria. the austrian folk music may be similar to the german, But Opera, Avantgarde, and classical music is part of the austrian artery culture! so you have a band like Angizia who`s material are based on old books, orchestral music (and not the cheesy type with Keyboard n shit).

Another Good example is Latin american metal. Take Poya for instance, they blend latin rythm and drums with (what seems to be) NU metal (or whatever). this too sounds pretty natural thing to play for thier source.

A rather unfamiliar type of folk-metal is the Oriental metal, who`s currently found Turkey and Israel, as far as i know. The biggest name in this type of metal is probably Orphaned Land, from me homeland :) they are really interesting and awefully good (imo) both with the orieltal melodies, as well as the spiritual lyrics.

I think I'm going to check out Orphaned Land... seems cool, got any more recommendations about oriental metal? I love all kinds of folk-metal, haven't heard much oriental, though :)

Well in my opinion there is nothing better then Viking/Folk Metal...
Bands like Einherjer, Windir, Ensiferum and Finntroll all rule!

Judas said:
That means:

Hail (not swedish) and whats up, my weaponbrother (?) ....

It is:
Mina vapenbröder if its several people ;)
And if it´s just 1 brother:
Min vapenbroder

;)

Thanks for the tip Judas, by vapenbröder I meant brothers of arms .... :p
It is nice to see that so many seem to enjoy the whole folk aspect that can be used in metal. I think that there has been a huge revival in what people could call pride in their heritage especially in the northern european regions. I think bands like Bathory, Darkthrone, Burzum,... started the trend. I remember seeing viking metal fest in Belgium with bands like enslaved, thyrfing and other folk bands and I don't know if such festivals would draw as many people in the US as they do in northern Europe? As far as other type of folk, I haven't heard much about it, I have a cd from Korea black metal band called Oathean and they use typical korean instruments on some of the songs. It would be real nice to see Amon Amarth do an instrumental song on their next cd. A great CD that I could recommend is Wongraven "Fjelltronen" it is an instrumental only album. The cd came out in 95 and will send chills up yr spine. I will check out the other albums you guys mentioned that is if I can find them.

@ Eisbar - Who is Riger? I do not know that band. What do they sound like (and don't just say viking lol)? Any website?

And about Mezarkabul/Pentagram (I'm writing to all who have mentioned them) : I very much like these guys and was at least able to see them at Wacken for a time last year. Now a question is, do any of you have anything OTHER than the cd Unspoken? I have three Pentagram cds as well, including the live one, which is damned good!!! And I love the booklet inside. Bir is VERY interesting. Listening to metal in Turkish puts a new twist on things for me. hahaha :lol: It's cool as hell though. BUT, I wouldn't call it oriental metal since it uses middle eastern sounds mostly, not asian sounds. I call them metal with a middle-eastern flare. :p

I've heard of Mezarkabul, got their album, however I'm more interested in MELECHESH (if that's what their called). I'm looking for them all over, it's said to be death/black with Middle Eastern vibes. That's pretty fucking interesting!

As for "Viking metal" well it's not something I'm engaged in nor do I consider AA to be just that. I think old Enslaved owns though, as well as Einherjer although they're a little too hooky at times. I've always been a Thyrfing fan and with Vansinnesvisor I'm really sold on them.

hey patric i've got that the melechesh djinn-album on my puter, could send it to you with the other stuff we spoke of.

how was vienna btw? are there any beer and unsullified ladies left after you're departure ;)

Yeah? That would be awesome, what is your opinion of it?

I had the greatest time at Vienna, eventhough I PROMISED the AA guys backstage that I would make a move on these two petite girls in the show, it didn't come to anything :( they were probably just scared of me and my leather armbands I'm sure! And as for beer, well I got a fridge full of Ottakringer hehe nothing beats imported brews...

well to be honest im a bit drowned in music right now, i've downloaded to much so there are a lot albums i haven't given time yet and among them the melechesh-album, but the reviews i've read of it have been positive.

hehe yeah it must have been fear that prevented anything from happening ;) nah just kidding, i bet they where homosexualls, console yourself by one of those beers :)

Djinn is a great album, you can buy it from Osmose in France. It takes a couple times to get used to the music and Proscriptor from Absu does a great job on the drums.
Hey Patric, how did you go to Austria? that s one hell of a ride from Sverige isn't it? Since you like to travel, come on by Florida in May for the AA tour, we will show you a good time .... :Spin: Hej då !!