Neo-Folk / Dark / Ambient genres

hagalaz runedance...im interested in this. any good? i love Dead Can Dance if that means anything

might look into Aghast as well

Forseti - could well be the best dark folk band I've heard. I have both albums, the second is the best. I'd strongly recommend anyone interested in this sort of stuff to check them out.

I recommend this recommendation. Pity their albums have been OOP for aeons.

Anyway I was looking for a thread to host my recent discovery of Beyond the Ghost, nocturnal mood ambient from Canada, fairly traditional in the making but easily in the top 5 bands from the league of Raison d'Être followers/disciples.

^
this one with some dark jazz undertones

I might as well namedrop Ruptured World in there. Similar stuff, not quite as deep but solid enough, in part thanks to the spoken interludes punctuating an increasingly darker, Lovecraft-like pseudo-scientific hunt.

So Empyrium's third and fourth albums are the only albums in this style I have listened to in the last 10 years at least. I shall be revisiting Forseti though.

As much as this style of music didn't really have much longevity with me, this thread did bring a smile to my face and reminded me of a time when I was so enthusiastic about discovering new music. Now I can barely contribute to a thread about new music from the last decade :tickled:

New Musk Ox coming out in July, looking forward to that.

Doom have you checked out:

Lonndoo: Viddernas tolv kapitel
JoDoden: Cellskräcksmemoarer
and I know you know October Falls, but he came out with one in the fall.

If you liked that Forseti, Nebelung's two albums Vigil and
Palingenesis are as good as any from that German scene-

Last edited:
Reactions: Doom
Over here in the northeast, it's that time of year again---some recent discoveries (and one re-discovery)

If I had anyone to play d&d with, this would be my soundtrack :rofl: -- resistance IS futile

Norwegian folk--a mix of more dynamic tracks with more subdued acoustic ones--excellent vocals throughout. I'm surprised this band isn't getting a bit more attention

mostly instrumental acoustic goodness from nj--quite striking

More Norwegian folk--mostly instrumental but also dynamic--some distortion here and there--good stuff

Puerto Rican folk project--high quality acoustics with great vocals as well--truly music to get lost in

This band used to be Backwoods, an acoustic band who I plugged on the forum back in the late 2000's (anyone remember?). Seems hard to even find any trace of their demos (seven fathoms and another) I am probably the only person in the entire u.s with two backwoods shirts:p Anyway--they're now "Woods End" ---and have a few albums and EPs -- vocals have improved--a bit more dynamic with some distorted guitars here and there--definitely good fall/winter music

P.S. still waiting for that Tenhi announcement from prophecy...any day now! :cool:

Reactions: Ellestin