folk/folk rock/prog folk

Orion Crystal Ice

Rider of the Astral Fire
Aug 22, 2002
The Road to Purity
Need recommendations for someone I know who is a folk/Americana freak and has everything. I'd like to get away from the strict heartland/country folk stuff but still have it be clearly and obviously folk.

Are you looking for folk recommendations in general, thus from all around the world, or, since you mentioned "Americana", just for American folk music?

I'd be more than happy to recommend things if you could better elaborate on what exactly you're looking for, since I don't know your friend and your description is still somewhat vague.

Well, for some great Americana try The Band, Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits (his older stuff), Gordon Lightfoot, and Bruce Springsteen (especially the album The Ghost of Tom Joad).

If you want to check out some cool English folk rock, try Pentangle and Fairport Convention.

Based on what I gathered from his first post, OCI is looking for things that a person who knows all the classic Americana/folk stuff probably doesn't have, so recommending the classics isn't going to be extremely helpful.

Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim
Swans - The Burning World
Marissa Nadler - The Saga of Mayflower May
Tim Buckley - Starsailor
Nico - Desertshore

If you're looking for more eccentric stuff as well, let me know.

Sorry, I misread the post (or read it too quickly, I presume). That's a bit tougher. There's lots of great Americana, but most of it is very underground. I saw a folk festival in Tampa over the summer that was awesome. One of the bands I remember that really stood out was Have Gun, Will Travel.

You still might want to suggest the English folk to him, as well as the Bruce Springsteen album. Most people don't realize that he does really good Americana material.