Fony - Routine Irregular

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Fony - Routine Irregular
Casket Music - 2002
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to the Copro Records web site (the Casket Music link is on there).

Well, well, well. Seems that the British metal scene is once again beginning to churn out some decent bands. Vacant Stare have already looked over the Atlantic and launched a defiant 'whatever you can do, we can do better' at them, and now Fony are tapping on Vacant Stare's collective shoulder and pointing out quietly,

"Maybe so, but we can do it smarter."

If I was to be horrifically lazy and attempt to sum up Fony's sound much as I usually do, I'd probably say 'throw Tool, Vacant Stare and Miocene into a blender and there you have it'. But that doesn't begin to describe the massive, layered, absorbing sound that Fony create. Throughout the album, the listener is tossed from ship to shore by musical currents that by turns gently caress, then suddenly beat you over the head with the aggression stick, then soothe and relax, then suffocate under a wall of sound.

The song structures and dynamics owe a lot to the prog-lite favoured by Tool, while the neck-snapping riffs and iron-lunged screeching aggression make nods to the Deftones, while there's a spirit of sweeping adventurousness that is entirely owed to Jane's Addiction. For example. "Fait Accompli" begins with a melodic, clean guitar line that, while being relaxed in itself, seems to hint that something bigger is coming. And then it does, suddenly and without warning, and the song is transformed into a shuddering riff-voyage of hostility put to music, then it just settles back down into the coiled-spring style of before.

This is possibly the most intriguing, promising and interesting band the UK has produced in quite a long time, and easily stands up to any of the mainstream metal that they've sent to us from over the Atlantic in quite a while.

9/10