Footage from inside WTC to be shown on TV

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/eo/20020206/en/eye_s_eyewitness_wtc_attack_video_1.html

Eye's Eyewitness WTC Attack Video
Just when you thought you couldn't take one more viewing of the planes smashing into the Twin Towers comes this news: The Eye network has secured the rights to eyewitness video taped inside the World Trade Center during the September 11 terrorist attack.

CBS will edit the exclusive footage, including 45 minutes revealing the chaos and rescue efforts inside the North Tower as the South Tower collapsed, into an as-yet untitled two-hour prime-time special. It will air on 9 p.m. ET/PT on March 10--a date the network states is coincidental, but which happens to almost coincide with the sixth-month anniversary of the tragedy.

"It's an amazing chronicle of history from a perspective nobody has seen," says Susan Zirinsky, a CBS news producer in charge of the special, which is being created under the aegis of the entertainment division.

Asked if the special would air with or without commercial interruption, a CBS spokesman said that decision had not been reached, but discussions were underway with some possible sponsors. (Another job for the bowing-down Budweiser Clydesdales that appeared during the Super Bowl, perhaps?) CBS is contributing all funds from the broadcast to the Uniformed Firefighters Association Scholarship Fund to benefit the children of the firefighters who died in the attack.

The video, described by CBS president Les Moonves as "just phenomenal material," was captured by French brothers Jules and Gedeon Naudet, who were downtown that morning to film a documentary about the New York Fire Department. They shot footage of the first plane slamming into the South Tower and then headed into what became Ground Zero, camera rolling.

The footage is purportedly not gory, but includes identifiable images of firefighters who entered the building never to come out alive. According to The New York Times, the images are "raw", showing faces filled with fear. The smoky atmosphere inside the building made some "images seem as if they are underwater," the Times reports. Screams are heard on the soundtrack as the South Tower collapses.

"It is inspiring and important," says Zirinsky. "It's powerful. It's not hard to watch; it's just mesmerizing." She believes the audience will come away with a new perspective on the heroism of the firefighters and that this "unique piece of work," will "allow people to sit back and take a breath, six months after, and really look with awe at the inside story of Ground Zero."

Although the footage has not been aired before, the videomakers' story is chronicled in the March issue of Vanity Fair, whose editor Graydon Carter knew the Naudets' father. Carter in turn contacted his friend Jim Wiatt, head honcho at the powerful William Morris Agency, who then contacted his chum, Moonves. Thus, the highly coveted footage ended up at CBS, where it will air one time in the special, which lists Carter and David Friends, Vanity Fair's editor of creative development, as executive producers. The Naudets, who will be paid to work on the special, retain rights to their footage for international distribution, home video and DVD. They also will be completing their original three-hour documentary on the New York firefighters.

Pete Gorman, president of the Uniformed Fire Officers Association, told the Hollywood Reporter he might express informal concerns to CBS. He had not seen the video and planned to talk to those who had before contacting the network.

Zirinisky says the network has been in touch with a woman who "sort of represents the families, and everybody know's we're doing this," so she didn't foresee any problems.

In the wake of the Super Bowl's musical and commercial tributes, September 11 is now clearly moving beyond the realm of news into entertainment. NBC has plans for a memorial special. HBO is at work on a documentary titled In Memoriam: September 11, 2001, New York City, in collaboration with NYC's former mayor Rudy Giuliani and his police and fire department commissioners. The HBO doc combines amateur and independent professional stills and video, along with television station footage, in what is described as "the people's film." HBO profits will also go to the families of police officers, firefighters and emergency workers.

Giuliani, who was downtown when the Twin Towers collapsed, told a gathering of television writers last month that the HBO documentary conveys "what it felt like to be in the middle of it, particularly those big clouds rushing through the canyons of the city."

"I think it's really important to have an accurate, historical recitation of what happened so that people--not only right now while this memory is fresh for us all, and very dramatic and very emotional, but 10 and 15 and 20 and 30 years from now---can understand what happened," Giuliani said.

The footage is purportedly not gory, but includes identifiable images of firefighters who entered the building never to come out alive. According to The New York Times, the images are "raw", showing faces filled with fear. The smoky atmosphere inside the building made some "images seem as if they are underwater," the Times reports. Screams are heard on the soundtrack as the South Tower collapses.

Can anyone think of something they have seen on television that would be more affecting than seeing and hearing that?

:cry:

Whilst I dont agree with it (imagine if you were the wife, kid of a fireman who died, and you saw him going into the building on this show)........ I would most definatly watch it if it came to Australian Television.

When I read the first few lines I had to say that I thought it was all in very poor taste. However after reading the entire article I've changed my mind. I'm a documentary maker myself (although I work in stills) and taking into account the sort of images I've seen and made over the years I have to say that this footage is some of the most important historical footage we have. We've all seen the Kennedy asasination, and horrific images of atrocities carried out in concentration camps during the second world war. They are incredibly valuable pieces of history, and I wonder if our understanding of those events would be different for not having seen those images. It's still a very raw time for the world, but in fifty years time (if the world makes it) these pieces of footage are all that people will have to understand quite how horrific those events were. I can tell you that 3,000 people were killed when two planes deliberatley flew into two of the tallest buildings in the world, but it's not until you actually see it that you understand what that concept means.

Maybe I'm just looking at it from a different perspective to others, but I think as long as it's not presented as some kind evening entertainment after the Friends slot (I'm just waitng for some smart arse to tell me that Friends is on another network ;)) that is has a useful purpose and the more people that see it the better. Images like that deserve to be burned into our subconscious for ever.

Originally posted by dreamwatch
Images like that deserve to be burned into our subconscious for ever.

As if they aren't already. I don't need to see it in minute detail to know how terrible it was.

And yes, it's horrific that the families of the victims will have to suffer through one more tragedy. It reminds me of looky-loos at a tragic car accident scene - the cars drive by real slow, just to have a look at the gore, certainly not so they can get out and help.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Unfortunately, as it will be on every t.v. in America the day after, I'll probably be subjected to looking at as well, though I would prefer not to. Let the dead rest in peace. :cry: :cry: