For all you full time Audio Engineers

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
What are you methods of keeping your job full time?

Do you go out and ask people to record with you? Do they contact you? Do you talk to labels about getting new bands to come in?

I need to get my head around this, because I think I have the potential to do this full time, but my schedule gets so crammed.

For example, last month, I had 7 bands get a hold of me wanting to record.. I fit 4 in, but and obviously had to tell the other 3 to hold on until next month.. Alas, it is next month, and the bands have moved on and don't "Have the money to record right now", or "Are waiting a while to record again", so now I'm stuck with I think 1 band throughout the whole month, doing 3 songs with me. Thank god I have a full time job for the moment, but I'd really like to do this in a more organized fashion.

I don't do this full time, but it sounds to me like you need to start scheduling and taking deposits for booked time.

No reason you can't be charging a deposit for a scheduled block of time next month, if the current month is booked up already.

I don't do this full time, but it sounds to me like you need to start scheduling and taking deposits for booked time.

No reason you can't be charging a deposit for a scheduled block of time next month, if the current month is booked up already.

Definitely.

Create a schedule for each project when it's booked (Band A November 3-12, Band B November 14-21, etc.) and take deposits from every band that wants to book time. Leave a couple days cushioning between projects in case they run over (and charge for overtime!).

Trust me, making a calendar/schedule and sticking with it will make your life a million times easier. Taking deposits will ensure that bands don't flake out and leave you in a bind.

i am a executive audio syndication rep... and i deal directly with label aggregators.

this is an advantage because it allows me to network with labels and artists through their publisher.

everyone is a potential network... you can sign up for aes/grammy/gang membership. these help you get good work (frequently).

Which gang should I sign up for? Bloods? Cribs? MS-13?

:lol:

it's the "game audio network guild"... it's a rich source of game audio composers that have worked in the game audio industry since the beginning.

i have had the pleasure of meeting and working with composers like tom salta, john culkin, spencer nielsen, sam neipp... etc etc.

all from joining a silly membership.

it's worth it.

i am a executive audio syndication rep... and i deal directly with label aggregators.

this is an advantage because it allows me to network with labels and artists through their publisher.

everyone is a potential network... you can sign up for aes/grammy/gang membership. these help you get good work (frequently).

Tim, what's your last name?