For people staying in hotels on the other side of the highway

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Atlanta is in -heavy- construction right now. So consider that generally as you plan. But if you are on the other side of the hotel from the venue, your bridge that you tend to cross might not be there... or be open. So you might want to check on it. Else, you might have to take a taxi as there are few bridges so walking 'around' it could be a fairly large distance.

I'm not sure which bridges are down right now. I want to say the 14th street bridge is closed for the next year or so (trust me this makes trying to get from one side of Atlanta to the other... or at times from one side of Atlanta back on the highway, a nightmare).

Ridiculous. This thread is a complete non-issue. No one staying on the far side, need be concerned about added walking distance. The venue is at the 17th st. bridge, which is fairly new and positively open to traffic and pedestrians. The distance of walking across the bridge at 14th then North on W.Peachtree / Spring st., or North on Techwood then cross at 17th is practically the same. The two conjoining sides of any rectangle equals the other two sides.

On a personal note: I rarely have problems with Atlanta roads.

Magius is right, the relatively new 17th street bridge should be fine, tho the area isn't as heavily trafficked as Peachtree.

Actually, I was looking at the overhead map and there is a lot gone from that area. The Hampton Inn is gone (the one I reserved the year that they closed it), the Knights Inn is gone (where I stayed one year. Good riddance.) , and the camera shop is gone (more of a loss for me, especially when I was shooting film.)

What sucks is the longer walk from the MARTA station without that bridge.

Jason

Ridiculous. This thread is a complete non-issue. No one staying on the far side, need be concerned about added walking distance. The venue is at the 17th st. bridge, which is fairly new and positively open to traffic and pedestrians. The distance of walking across the bridge at 14th then North on W.Peachtree / Spring st., or North on Techwood then cross at 17th is practically the same. The two conjoining sides of any rectangle equals the other two sides.

On a personal note: I rarely have problems with Atlanta roads.

I've heard and seen people walking from the 14th bridge. But I guess they can just cross the 17th and walk that shitty walk down there. If its open. Its not for driving. But maybe they have an area open for walking. Glad you think its ridiculous. Exciting!

On a person note: getting to 14th street when driving 85 south had you (I haven't done it lately for this reason) do a nasty detour. But generally I haven't had issues getting to where I need to go.