For the Eddie Trunk non-fans out there....

templeofmax

Aug 13, 2009
I was at the Monsters of Rock Cruise and saw first hand what everybody is saying all along....Eddie Trunk could not know newer hard rock or metal bands even if his life depended on it. When he was up on stage reading the bands scheduled for the first day of the cruise he could not even pronounce Gotthard and had to make a couple of attempts at reading it correctly. Really? You do not know one of the premier Swiss hard rock bands who have been playing for 25 years or more? One would think he would at least get familiar with the band before getting on the ship. Later on, the next day when I was watching their amazing second show, Eddie Trunk was 'checking them' out....:cry::cry::eek::eek:

For a so-called walking encyclopedia of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, he is really deficient in his knowledge. Of course he did not want to advertise PPUSA, since he would not know 95% of these bands. He could not even pronounce their names. In 10 years or so when all these 80's bands retire, he probably will too, unless he keeps rehashing the same old...

Reactions: NorseBlood
I know much more about newer hard rock and metal bands than Eddie Trunk, and I don't know how to pronounce Gotthard either. I've only ever seen the name online, never heard it pronounced. That said, I wouldn't have made multiple attempts at saying it. I know from past experience that in public speaking, even if you don't know how to pronounce something, just decide on a pronunciation and roll with it, don't fumble around with it.

Meh, Never got the hate for him. He waves the flag well for hard rock and metal. He supports what he likes and freely admits he does not know everything and leans heavily toward the older bands and more hard rock bands. His TV show was on VHL Classic. I think of myself as super knowledgable about metal. Having said that, I could not tell you shit about 99% of black metal bands or 90% of most of the underground stuff like shoegaze and stuff made to sound like it was recorded on a mono walkman in a bathroom to keep the sound tr00. A lot of people would probably think that would make me a metal-poser. *shrug*

I think his audience are not people that live and breath sub-genres on message boards, his audience are hard rock fans (a lot of which are from the 80's) and if he can expose them to some bands outside their wheelhouse, seems like that is good for metal on the whole.

fdh.jpg

I know much more about newer hard rock and metal bands than Eddie Trunk, and I don't know how to pronounce Gotthard either. I've only ever seen the name online, never heard it pronounced. That said, I wouldn't have made multiple attempts at saying it. I know from past experience that in public speaking, even if you don't know how to pronounce something, just decide on a pronunciation and roll with it, don't fumble around with it.

While that is true about pronunciation, the way he read it it looked that it was the first time he even heard of that band...

To be honest, I would never have heard of Gotthard if it wasn't for this board. They may have been around for 25 years, but unless you are able to get airplay in the US or tour, it is rather difficult to let people know that you exist. That's the problem with being a hard rock band post 1990. A lot of bands fell through the cracks during that time.

Reactions: NorseBlood
To be honest, I would never have heard of Gotthard if it wasn't for this board. They may have been around for 25 years, but unless you are able to get airplay in the US or tour, it is rather difficult to let people know that you exist. That's the problem with being a hard rock band post 1990. A lot of bands fell through the cracks during that time.

This is a fantastic board and an incredible resource for me to discover new bands. Big thanks to everyone here who makes posts with videos and discussions of both new and old bands and albums. :headbang:

I'm thinking our old friend the Trunkster should sign up to this board and start paying attention.

For the love of god stop picking on the poor man. We all have bands we like, know & love. Others we have no clues about. No one person knows everything. Besides I don't even consider Gotthad hard rock. Way to much mellow stuff on their catalog.

Why should he push something that he probably doesn't have interest in like PPUSA? I personally don't like 60 to 70% of the bands who play it. So you won't se me on the streets plugging it either. Doesn't mean it's not a great event. Once again we all have our likes and dislikes.

Reactions: derrickm