For the Fallen Dreams - Changes

Feb 18, 2011
I thought, would it be such a crime to ask some stuff about this very old album? I say no.
I've always loved the sound on this album, I know the sound is kind of "rugged" or perhaps "out of date" compared to FTFD's follow up album but I actually prefer this sound over the new. It sounds more real and natural, an the drums are sick. Idk. That would be cool if joey could chime in about things he did with this album that he has changed since then. His newer recording obviously sound much different since this was done in 2008. I'm guessing these drums are samples from the actual kit played, I could be wrong though. and the guitars are pod I presume. they are my favorite part of the album. lots of Midrange.

BTW, I noticed for their upcoming album they are recording at Diamond Studios with Tom Denney, is joey going to play any part in the new album?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to disagree, I think this is the point where he really sounded like he was just using POD and Slate.

I am interested in how he places the leads in the mix. Do you use delay AND reverb? I've never been able to get good results just using delay.

Now that you said that i'm hearing some slate myself hah. Idk I think you can agree it sound Rugged so to speak. Idk i really like the way everything sounds.
One of my favorite albums and favorite recordings

They were probably done the way he usually does it. Recording overheads and triggering/replacing everything else.

No, not when this album came out. he was doing programmed drums.
and I dont think they sound anything like slate. (at least the slate sounds that we all know today, 3.0 and 3.5)

and to be honest, I think the cymbal separation on this is way too perfectly panned to even consider them as real drums.
listen with some headphones to their 2nd album which was real OHs and sampled drums and then to this album. these cymbals dont sound real when you compare like that.

Now I could be completely wrong but it sounds right to me and I remember Andrew (drummer) posting that they were midi somewhere