For the Slowdive fans...

Thanks for posting! What a great band, I had the joy of seeing them live on the Souvlaki tour...what a mind blowing experience of sonic bliss! The videos and cds don't do them justice.

I just love spanish air so much,though I have not readed the lyrics yet...brb ..*googling*

hey guyz, since there seems many of us here who like.. like?? LOVE Slowdive :D - how did you discover them?

here'z my little story.

i remember one of the timez i waz going az a guest to a friend'z radio show to play some hot muzikk [it waz named AlterNova, and me and him were really the first onez around here who actually played Kata & Opeth & Ulver and such things on air ;) ]

and my friend iz older, born 1969, waz really into all the alternative muzikk since the early 90'z, so anyway, i looked through the dozen of CD'z he carried, saw Just For A Day cover, and loved it instantly. thoze colours, they had it that something, the skirt, it was really adorable cover among all the other stuff he carried.

i knew that The Gathering covered When The Sun Hitz before, and i remembered that Jonas waz wearing that shirt with that picture in the Discouraged Onez innersleeve, so...

i borrowed the CD, rushed home, played it, and, wow, it waz really a fresh violet breeze flowing throughout the speakers!

hooked eversince. it waz 2001.

i waz trying to find Souvlaki for many monthz to come...

at the time i was corresponding [eeh iz it the right word?] with a girl i met through this very forum, maybe someone rememberz her.. her nick waz Melancholia here.. her very good friend waz also a big fan of Slowdive and he had a copy of Souvlaki so she burned me the CDR, sent me from Piraeus [near Athens] and the rest waz hiztory hehe..

sorry if this iz a long one, but i'm in a bit of a sentimental/post-Jack Danielz mood from last night, so.. :D

cheerz!

Serioulsly, very seriously, that song is peaceful, magic and thrilling enough to bring tears to my eyes. God, it is so fucking beautiful.
I discovered Slowdive through an article from Spin magazine a long time ago, then i bought Souvlaki and it instantly became a part of me.

@_@+[ ]+=-__-=+~*~LUV U SLOWDIVE~*~+=-__-=+[ ]+@_@

Couldn't help but comment here..

First, thanks for the video. Very cool. Second, Slowdive is one of my favorite bands of all-time. I love all their albums/EPs and demos -- but for me, 'Just for a Day' (their debut) is fucking untouchable. It's just beyond words. (Here's what I wrote on the subject a couple years ago).

All their releases are quite different in my opinion, with 'Just for a Day' being the most ethereal and melancholic, Souvlaki being perhaps the most accessible/radio friendly, and Pygmalion being extremely experimental to the point of being almost an electronic/ambient album. The EPs are all great and so are some of the demo songs, if you can get your hands on them.

cheers jesse :D

i have three of their videos to share with you - Ballad Of Sister Sue, Catch The Breeze and Shine.

all of them are about 50 MB's size, so i don't have any idea how or where to upload them :(

have you guys listened to Outside Your Room EP?
it has a song called Moussaka Chaos, it is actually Souvlaki Space Station minus the vocals, FX based, very cool.

Avalyn parts 1 and 2 are also great.

have you listened to the early tracks Beach Song and Take Me Down? very old and rare, but superkool.

btw, one question:

why is it called shoegaze ?

once i heard an anecdote that i liked, it is because all these bands have lots of pedals being pressed every now and then, and because of the dreamy atmosphere the audience were gazing at the guitarists' shoes :)

btw, one question:

why is it called shoegaze ?

once i heard an anecdote that i liked, it is because all these bands have lots of pedals being pressed every now and then, and because of the dreamy atmosphere the audience were gazing at the guitarists' shoes :)

Yeah it basically has to do with the bands using lots of layers and feedback and everyone basically zoning out looking down at their shoes :)

It's called shoegaze because of the amount of guitar effect of guitar effect pedals the bands used to produce their sound. Kevin Shields used fourteen during the Loveless tour. So they would have to look down to concentrate on which one was which. The British press was also taking the piss. Most of the bands were shy and unassuming, and the press were clamouring after explosive showbiz Punk/ Rock and Roll types (The Manic Street Preachers, Adorable). Slowdive were a quite unfashionable band at the time. Most of their contemporaries (Verve, the Boo Radley's, Lush) changed their sound completely to gain acceptance.
The Boo Radley's album "Everything's Alright Forever" is one of my favourite albums from this era, one of my favourite albums fullstop. Kind of psychedelic shoegaze, and very heavy at times. My mam tried to throw out me bro's old magazines and I rescued them from the bin men! So I'm reading through them now. I could scan them in and post them if anyone wanted a historical perspective. I've only found a review of slowdive so far though. And a picture of their singer dressed up in camo with an AK47 (!?).