For those whom find the new Maiden dull...

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
....I stumbled upon some awesome remixes of the new album's tracks on Youtube. While I revere the album, these mixed inject a lot of life into the songs. Bruce's vocals are "more defined", and even better here. The sound has more of an 80s feel than a "reunion era" feel.

The Alchemist (the remaining tracks can be found on the right-hand side-bar)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a tried and true oldschool supporter. I love almost every well known "oldschool" band, but I make exceptions with both Iron Maiden and Guns and Roses. I like songs by both bands, but that is as far as it goes. I refuse to blast them because they simply don't deserve that. However, in "my ear" neither band has ever been more than mediocre as far as consistant quality.

Bryant

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's sad when my own CD sounds better than the 2 biggest bands in metal who have access to a budget....

a) well for starters Final Stage is way more interesting than Maiden at this stage of their career and,
b) to me the most depressing thing is that you have to make remixes of your own to excel a professional recording form a world class band

Did Kevin Shirley remix this or have the multi tracks leaked somewhere online? Cuz if so, I want a stab at remixing. :)

Edit: I just did an A/B test with the "remix" and original and it sounds like the guy just added some more high end. Bruce's vox also sound a tad louder, so maybe it's a single mix. Not as dramatic as I had initially thought, but something of an imporvement.

BTW, I did a tweak job on this song, you can compare the original to my version and decide which you think sounds better.

I presume that it was not necessarily mixed from original multitracks.
I think it was done by tinkering the mid and side portion of a plain stereo program extracted from that CD, and treating them differently.

<tech babble>
The mid contains everything that is in dead center (or signal equal at both left and right sides, if you like) and that is usually lead vocals, kick and snare drum, bass guitar and often lead guitar.
The primitive karaoke works by killing the mid section and essentially dropping the main vox...

This way you can eq, compress or do whatever to the center and not affect the sides, where rhythm guitars sit and thus change the character and the instrument/vocals balance to an extent. And after all that you can master it to give the whole recording a new sheen.
</tech babble>

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's sad when my own CD sounds better than the 2 biggest bands in metal who have access to a budget....

Ofcoarse your CD would sound better (not that I've heard it), and here's why.
Big budgeds is not the problem, big bands run out of ideas, they lose their hunger. They try and catch you with good producing rather than good tracks. They also bring out nice box sets accompanied by mousepads, stickers etc. Did they have to do that with Seventh Son?
Why do we have to go to these great extends to make ouselves like it? Listen to it over and over until it grows on you?
Cancer and fungus grows on you. I mean, take any solid album of you choice, did you have to find a better version of it somwhere else? Ofcoarse not! This is why us old scoolers will always vote for the debut albums in any poll, not because we're old school or anal, but because those are simply the better albums.
Why do we buy a certain band's whole catalog even after we've realised they've lost their touch, I don't know. Do I own it? Yes. Will I ever listen to it again? Not any time soon. Then again I own hundreds like these but I cant get myself to get rid of them so I end up with a collection consisting mostly of crap.
There are many new bands out there sounds alot better.

Ofcoarse your CD would sound better (not that I've heard it), and here's why.

In terms of recording quality though, a budget does matter. All the money in the world can't make the songs you've written amazing if they suck (unless you hire someone to write for you), but Maiden could have called Jimbo Barton or any other world class engineer and made their new album sound a lot better than it did.