For those with tube amps......

xAzagthothx

likes jambands, too
Sep 8, 2009
....what brand preamp (12ax7) tubes do you use? I'm trying to get info on the gain and tonal characteristics of different brands, and the info seems to be all over the place. Some say Electro Harmonix are great, high gain, but die after a week. Some say they last years, but don't have great high end. Some say the JJ's don't have enough gain, and are gritty and not smooth, some say Tung Sol are the absolute best for max-gain applications in all amps.

So, what kind of amps do you have, and what brand tubes do you have?

Ive got a 5150 and 5150 II Im rocking some tung sols in there, im not too knowledgable on tubes but im diggin the sounds Ive been getting from them and they came highly recommended for their price range

I have a Mesa Dual Rec. older 2 channel. I've tried most brands over the years since I've had my amp for over 12yrs now. Groove Tubes, EHX, Mesa, JJ's.

Right now I have all JJ's, except for a TungSol in the stage1 preamp. For me the Tungsol has made the cleans really bright and defined. The rest of the JJ's are great too. My amp never sounded better.

Check out www.eurotubes.com. Bob Pletka is fantastic and will answer most questions via email, really quickly. I won't buy my tubes anywhere else.