7. Spiral Depression
8. Tossed Away
9. One Foot In Hell

Label: Combat Records
Release date: 1990
Artist site:

GRADE:
8.5/10

Before NEVERMORE, guitarist Tim Calvert was in a band from San Francisco called FORBIDDEN. Drummer Paul Bostaph would go on to play in SLAYER for some time, guitarist Craig Locicero played alongside Chuck Schuldiner in DEATH during some of their tours, but for some reason, FORBIDDEN was a band always overlooked. Criminally. Vocalist Russ Anderson has this Rob Halford possessed by thrash metal thing going on, providing the heavy, spiraling riffs with some really killer melodies. “One Foot In Hell” and its interchanging vocal pattern really stands out, as does album opener “Infinite.” There is a moment in “Step By Step” where Anderson hits a high pitch scream that just has me longing for the days of all of those old Metal Blade bands in the ‘80s. Time to dig through my cassettes….

Produced by Michael Rosen, also the man behind the chair for TESTAMENT’s Souls Of Black, a few VICIOUS RUMORS releases, among many other things, does a great job of capturing the band on tape. Twisted Into Form is their second release, the first to feature the aforementioned Calvert, who brings a lot to the songwriting department. Both he and Locicero are incredible guitarists with amazing lead capabilities, just check out the title track, “R.I.P.,” or “Tossed Away” and you’ll see what I mean. They are right alongside the H-Team of EXODUS in terms of overlooked.

While some thrash fans considered FORBIDDEN’s sense of melody a detriment, I found it to be one of their strengths, helping them to stand apart from a lot of their contemporaries. I’ll sum it up by just suggesting that, if you enjoy metal from JUDAS PRIEST to thrash, I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t hunt this one out and add it to your collection.

PJ