axemaiden

makes you eat dead things
Aug 21, 2007
grendel's mothers cave
Forced Evolution - Unveiled
Self-Released - 2007
By Axemaiden

um.gif

Hailing from Belgium, the as yet unsigned Forced Evolution have released their latest album offering, Unveiled, in the hope that this will accompany their growing touring success and finally propel them to stardom. And so it should do, for the album is fantastic and one of the best releases from an unsigned band which I have come across so far. The CD, with five tracks and at just over 27 minutes long, is hardly one of the longest ones in the world, but this seems to work in its favour as it means that every song is memorable and it leaves you wanting to hear more from the group.

Unveiled begins with two instrumental tracks, the first, 'Overture', is a wonderfully complex mix of eerie and sinister orchestral strings, both light and haunting yet overlaying a darker and evilly throbbing heart and indeed the track wouldn't sound out of place on a movie documenting the life of Vlad Tepes, or some other such depraved historical figure. This then smoothly kicks in to track two, 'Echoes of Evolution', where Guillaume Pierson's and Schumyx's pulsing, slow and excellently executed drum and bass rhythms blend perfectly with the steadily crushing guitar riffs. All of this is layered with delicate, glass shattering solos of the type usually found on albums by groups such as Arch Enemy and Carcass and indeed, Forced Evolution do bear similarities to bands such as these, without being just another mindless replica. Track three, Unveiled, begins with a fantastic riff which is guaranteed to make this one of their signature tunes and this is where the listener is first introduced to the brutal vocals of Lionel Bauer, who has since left the group. However, as he is the second singer in Forced Evolution's relatively short lifespan, there is no doubt that they will manage perfectly well by themselves. Track four, 'First Day Of My Apocalypse' continues in a similar vein to the previous one, with the chugging assault of Nicolas Toussaint's rhythm guitar and Ulrich Schadeck's powerful solos destroying eardrums everywhere, but track five 'The Enchanted', is of a slightly different vein, featuring an additional female singer and with riffs more recognisable of bands including Pantera and Black Label Society, it manages to be both heavy and ethereal at the same time.

I seriously enjoyed every bit of this CD (or I would have done had my nefarious stereo not broken on every single track) and I really, really urge you to go and see them live and check out the album yourself because I reckon they have a lot of potential.

Official Forced Evolution Website
Official Forced Evolution Myspace