Queensryche - Live Evolution

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Queensryche - Live Evolution
Metal-Is Records - 2001

By Nigel

For a band that has been around since the early 80s, it’s somewhat surprising that we haven’t seen a live album from Queensryche until now. Sure, there was Operation: Livecrime, a concert video of their acclaimed 1988 concept album (which, incidentally, is being rereleased on CD and DVD this year), but this is the first real opportunity for fans to hear classic, and not-so-classic, tracks on an official live release. The wait has been worth it.

Live Evolution is split into four “suites” detailing each era of the band’s history – ‘EP/Warning/Rage Suite’, the epic ‘Mindcrime Suite’ (definitely the album’s centrepiece), ‘Empire/Promised Land Suite’ and finally ‘HITNF/Q2K Suite’. Along with the expected tracks that appear (such as "The Lady Wore Black", "Take Hold of the Flame", "Silent Lucidity" and "Jet City Woman", as well as the ubiquitous selections from Operation: Mindcrime), it’s great to see some classics which I didn’t think I would see again, such as "Roads to Madness" and "London". Unfortunately, as is the case with most live albums, all fans will lament the absence of their personal favourites, in my case the lack of a greater selection of tracks from Promised Land – we’re given two songs, "I Am I" and "Damaged", and are forced to do without "Someone Else", among others.

This was recorded without guitarist Chris DeGarmo, who left the band before the recording of the band’s last album, Q2K. It’s easy to forget that he’s not there, though – his replacement, Kelly Gray, fills his shoes effortlessly. In fact, if I didn’t know that there had been a line-up change I doubt I would have cottoned on it all from listening to this. The performances are top notch, with Geoff Tate, whose voice has seen better days, only struggling a few times, most notably on "London". Whether or not the material chosen is the best possible is a point of conjecture, but it’s the best we have for now.

Queensryche, in my opinion, have experienced a downturn since the release of Hear in the Now Frontier in 1997 (although I must admit that I've started listening to, and enjoying, this and Q2K a lot more since hearing the live tracks from each album). I don’t know if the release of Live Evolution, along with the label and management change means that they’re at a turning point in their careers as some have suggested, but for the first time in a few years I’m genuinely interested in what they plan on doing next.

The Official Queensryche Website