Forgotten Links of Hard Rock and Metal

so last night I'm reading martin popoff's book, the collector's guide to heavy metal, and I'm thinking, okay...most people traditionally think of metal as being born in the late sixties/early seventies, with black sabbath, and led zeppelin (and popoff himself including uriah heep in there...)

but for alot of reasons (drugs, etc) you can make an arguement that by the mid 70s, Sabbath began losing steam, as did zeppelin. so between say that time and when the NWOBHM came out, who helped carry the flame? And I came up with two bands after first thinking of Judas Priest, namely, Thin Lizzy and UFO.

These guys both had enormously productive periods in this period of time, check this out:

UFO
Phenomenon 74
Force It 75
No Heavy Petting 76
Lights Out 77
Obsession 78
Strangers in the Night 79
(bassist Pete Way was such a notorious doper that even Ozzy had to let him go in the early eighties for being a bad influence after only one tour, no recording :lol: )

Thin Lizzy
Jailbreak 76
Johnny the Fox 76
Bad Reputation 77
Live and Dangerous 78
Black Rose 79

just thinking out loud. flame away.

I can't think of any band from that period really, probably since King Crimson was disbanded between '74 and '79.

I mean there are a ton of great songs from that era (the last of "pure" rock n' roll, or something), but I can't think of one or two bands that really lead the pack.

UFO and Thin Lizzy...two excellent bands. Don't forget Fighting (75), the first great Thin Lizzy album.

Mid 70's Budgie albums are an influence too.

Heavy Load - Full Speed At High Level (78), another good example.

:lol:
tell us what you REALLY think! haha

the other day I actually found a copy of Thin Lizzy - Chinatown, an import from Germany. one of the few lizzys I didn't have...hadn't special ordered it because it was when Phil Lynott was declining due to his prolific drug habit...but compared to so much commonly available stuff in the US it is a fucking masterpiece. Also, the box set in europe isn't available over here but my brother sent me a burned set, along with the Phil postage stamps from Ireland.

my favorite moment of all time on a live album (Live and Dangerous):

Phil: are there any ladies out there with a little irish in them?
audience: *roar!!!!*
Phil: are there any ladies who'd like a little more irish in them???

Adrian said:
I mean there are a ton of great songs from that era (the last of "pure" rock n' roll, or something), but I can't think of one or two bands that really lead the pack.
You ever listen to Priest? :err:

Add Motorhead to your lists too.

I thought lizard was going for bands bridging the gap between 70's rock and NWOBHM? That being said I've never listened to much Priest. :loco:

Motörhead is a good one, definitely.

hmmmm...to me Purple is one of the founders, okay, here's what I would consider the peak of Purple:
In Rock 70
Fireball 71
Machine Head 72
Made in Japan 73
Who Do We Think We Are 73
Burn 74 (I think this was the first with Coverdale and Hughes. the band was splintering but I liked this album when I was younger)

I take heat for it but to me, Priest was incredibly influential but very uneven.

Deep Purple was one of my first thoughts, but they split in '76 and had been around since '68, so I don't think they really counted. I personally think Mk.III was still class, but they'd already done their damage well before :hehe:

I kind of feel funny about Lizzy nowadays...without Phil of course, although with Scott Gorham and John Sykes (ex whitesnake), who played on only one (the last) lizzy album...Sykes does a credible job singing in Lynott's style, and he adds a more metallic sheen to the solos than Lizzy originally had in its heyday (which is good)...but it still kindof feels like a cover band.

all that aside, I kinda did like One Night Only, its a very enjoyable and professionally played romp through a bunch of classic songs by a classic band.

NicodemiX said:
Thin Lizzy and Deep Purple played here last night. I feel like a dickhead because I wasn't able to get tickets for it :(
I'm torn between Deep Purple in my hometown (who I have seen already) and Motorhead 40 miles away (who I have not) in two months time :erk: