formal announcement:

You both missed the point.

Dope: The debate I was expecting was not about the value fo suicide bombing but the equating of middle eastern culture WITH suicide bombing. In more explicit terms, for example, how some people just accuse middle eastern people of all the ills of the american society while it is clearly not the case.

prep: It was a JOKE. I was being a jerk emulating that other guy in the Chupe package thread, hence the reference.

And I am the one who's uptight...

Yeah, I can see that sort of debate being semi-feasible. HOWEVER, you get into the issue of a statement that was made in jest, bringing into question one person's sense of humour versus another's, which ultimately becomes bogged down in the mire of opinion and leads to a spiral of wasted typing.

Internet debate is, for the most part, tiresome and ineffective.

i know you were kidding e-freak obviously or i would have restated my entire 'it's not nice to call people stupid' thing (i don't just save it for certain people). either way, i'm extremely uptight. you're right. rigid as a field marshal.

i think that thousands of far more offensive things have been said on this board than that, and no one has prissily taken offense to them. why doesn't anyone complain about azal's anti-black and anti-Albanian rants?

and unlike The Dope's comment, azal's racist rants aren't even true!

p.s. i like internet debate. i often learn something from it.

I don't think I have been on the board long enough to have witnessed Azal's rants... I might have taken offense there too. I don't know but Dope's comment seemed inappropriate at the time and had absolutly nothing to do with the rest of the thread (although that happens a lot around here :) )