Found the source of my guitar tone problems (sort of...)

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So, for the last couple years I've been struggling to get an acceptable guitar tone, even though I have (i think) a couple of good guitars, access to some - while not awesome - nice amps and imho, a pair of nice ears. Everyone in the city says great things about my drum tones, but i've always been ashamed of my guitar tones - hence the reason I never posted anything here. Since I never record rock/metal on the studio I work on, I thought the problem was on the acoustics of my bedroom studio, so i decided i would try tracking a band using simulator. When i started tracking i noticed I got the same exact crap i got on my mic'ed tone: almost no bass, a LOT of fizz, some un-eq-able honk and some kind of weird saturation. The guitar is a Cort M600 with EMG 85 on the bridge, but I also get a WORSE tone with my Gibson SG, with Bareknuckles.

The chain was Guitar > countrymain 85 > Fireface 400

I am posting the DIs for someone i recorded today (excuse the playing, the band and the song really suck). It is clipped on some spots, but those guitars aren't final either. If anyone cares to try anything with this and help me track the source of the crap i get, I'd thank you eternally.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1237921/Copy%20of%20Audio%2017.wav.zip

What do you think: Guitar? Hands (but i get this crap when i play too, so...) ? Anything else?

Ivan