Fractal Cab Pack 5

Fluffbot

I like beef jerky.
Jun 11, 2014
Edmonton
www.silentlineofficial.com
Well I just bought the 4x12 collection last week and finally had some time to play around with it. Holy shit! I wasn't expecting it to be as awesome as it was. I know it's not brand new or anything, but I just feel all the AxeFX users out there should really consider dropping the cash for it, these are by far the most realistic sounding impulses I've ever heard.

Every other impulse I've come across kinda shit the bed when A/B'd with the Catharsis s-pres high, but now I have a ton of different options that I feel are finally worth my time. So many mics all with off-axis options too!

The 5153 normal and Broderick are tits-out awesome, the Mesa cabs are tasty as all hell, and the Marshall 1960 TV is one of the best I've ever heard.

Not trying to advertise for Fractal or anything, but they really nailed it with this ultra res 4x12 pack! I'll get to making some recordings ASAP, for now I'm just in tone heaven.

What do you guys think of it?

i'd like to try it but imho it's too expensive compared to other packs.
i am using the ownhammer high gain essentials IR's atm and i think
they sound absolutely great, can't imagine a real "gain" by buying the fractal cab.

do you have any recordings using these IR's? :)

also fractal does not allow paypal, so if you don't own a credit card, you're screwed.
i had to move to hell and back to be able to purchaase cab lab...

I have all the packs and the Ownhammer High Gain IR's. I have a few impulses I created from up to three impulses with Fractals impulses that I really enjoy, "they were mixed with a small percentage of a very crisp mic impulse" and the character I've been able to achieve with those impulses is unlike any other impulses I've ever tried. Still... that being said... The Ownhammer high gain impulses are still my bread and butter impulses.

I don't think anyone will really be missing much at all by skipping any/or all Fractal cab packs as long as they own the Ownhammer High Gain impulses. They are just awesome.

I have the Redwirez big box bundle. Are those on par with the Ownhammer?

Don't get me wrong. The Redwirez IRs are good... but for me, they're a lot more labor intensive. They're one mic in one position. I find that I usually have to blend several to get tones I like. You either have to really know what you're doing or just get lucky when you start blending a bunch of IRs. Pain in the ass IMO.

Many of the Ownhammer IRs, but not all, are "mix" IRs (more than one mic blended together). Pick 1 IR and you're done.

I have them as well. I'd have to say no. They aren't bad but the Ownhammer IRs rule. Also realize the Redwirez impulses are older impulses and they were not taken with enough length to be ultra res impulses. That's a deal breaker for me right there.

There is going to be a new IR pack coming out very shortly from Fractal, but it's not created by them, and I have a feeling that it's going to be on the level of the OwnHammer High Gain IR's. I've heard some of the work these guys are doing and they sound fantastic. One particular impulse from these guys sounded almost identical to my primary go-to Ownhammer High Gain impulse, so I have every reason not to doubt them.

I don't like the idea of "mix" IRs. I know it's more work, but I like blending my own IRs. Also, I'm not really sure UltraRes are that much better. I own an Axe-Fx II and don't notice that much difference from the UltraRes, Hi Res or the Redwirez. What are you hearing that makes them better in your opinion?

I don't like the idea of "mix" IRs. I know it's more work, but I like blending my own IRs. Also, I'm not really sure UltraRes are that much better. I own an Axe-Fx II and don't notice that much difference from the UltraRes, Hi Res or the Redwirez. What are you hearing that makes them better in your opinion?

If you do not hear or feel the improvement in the accuracy of the low end in true Ultra Res impulses, I'm guessing you're not using real ultra res impulses, you don't have your Axe configured properly to accept them, or your monitoring system is too poor to hear the low end differences. Many people on these forums have commented that it is the missing piece of the modeling puzzle for them. I agree. FYI... Redwirez impulses are not capable of ultrares.

My Axe-Fx is configured properly. I have no doubt about that. As for my monitoring system, it's Yamaha HS 50M monitors and a HS8S subwoofer. So the low end is the only improvement? I'll try and pay particular attention to that area and compare two IRs.

My Axe-Fx is configured properly. I have no doubt about that. As for my monitoring system, it's Yamaha HS 50M monitors and a HS8S subwoofer. So the low end is the only improvement? I'll try and pay particular attention to that area and compare two IRs.

For visual reference as to the improvement ultra res impulses are in their accuracy over traditional impulses:

Green = normal impulse.

ultra_res.jpg

Are all Ownhammer IRs UltraRes? Do they offer non-mixed IRs? Their website confuses the heck out of me.

For visual reference as to the improvement ultra res impulses are in their accuracy over traditional impulses:

Green = normal impulse.

ultra_res.jpg
Question. And this might be stupid, but it seems like all the improved accuracy is around 100Hz and below. In metal, we usually hi-pass around 120Hz, at least I do. Wouldn't that negate most of the benefits of UltraRes?

Question. And this might be stupid, but it seems like all the improved accuracy is around 100Hz and below. In metal, we usually hi-pass around 120Hz, at least I do. Wouldn't that negate most of the benefits of UltraRes?

The accuracy improvements are almost half the entire waveform. It's been months since I purchased the Ownhammer IR's but I remember needing to convert Kevin's files to ultrares with cablab. He doesn't have the rights to sell ultrares files without paying Fractal royalties.

I never noticed the difference between regular impulses and the ultrares impulses either. I liked the Axe FX but I felt the interaction between poweramp and speaker model on the Kemper was more realistic. The Axe felt like a static filter. The amp modelling is great, the cab modelling... it's no better than other IR loaders imho.

I never noticed the difference between regular impulses and the ultrares impulses either.

I didn't either at first glance...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/924508-axe-fx-ii-firmware-13-feat-hi-ultrares-irs.html

But as you can see, UR impulses made the difference for other users as well, it just took me a while to understand the advantages. When you think about it, an impulse is supposed to emulate the sound of a cabinet authentically, and as you can see from that chart, the UR impulse is much more accurate than an impulse that does not take advantage of UR tech. Why ever use anything that isn't going to be as authentic as possible when working with modeling? It's simply better in every way. Period.

Why ever use anything that isn't going to be as authentic as possible when working with modeling? It's simply better in every way. Period.
more authentic and more accurate doesnt necessary mean it will sounds better to you in a musical way. especially not in recordings where most things tend to sound unnatural and bigger as life anway, lol
my main impulse on the axe FX II is still a regular impulse that i love for how it sounds.
but i also really like some of the new UR impulses, for what they sound.. i think the impulse creaters all made a great progression in how to make great sounding impulses and i think thats the main reason why those new UR impulses sounds great, i dont care if the ir i´m using is UR or regular Highres IR if it sounds good to me and my taste.

there was a trick postet on the FAS forum a long while ago how you can compare the same UR how it does sound as Ultra Res and how in Highres, and you can switch back and forth and listen for a difference, when i did it back than, i did not hear a difference.
For me what really matters is the frequency inprint of the Impulse-response, how it matches my taste and vision for my guitar sound, and not really the resolution.

but i think its really great that there is development and progression, the drive to make things better and better, and i´m glad that there are people who are pushing those limits!!

Trust your Ears, its all about music :)
cheers and enjoy your weekends!!

I never noticed the difference between regular impulses and the ultrares impulses either. I liked the Axe FX but I felt the interaction between poweramp and speaker model on the Kemper was more realistic. The Axe felt like a static filter. The amp modelling is great, the cab modelling... it's no better than other IR loaders imho.

The Axe Fx doesn't model cabs, it just loads impulses.

About the cab/power amp reaction... doesn't the Kemper just attempt to copy the wave output of a rig? Not really modelling the amp circuits per se like the Axe Fx

Then you did not understand the post. Sorry. :rolleyes:

To quote Cliff (The maker of the Axe-Fx):

"It depends on the IR. UltraRes improves low-frequency resolution. It is very apparent with some IRs and virtually inaudible with others. It all depends on the low-frequency formants in the original IR. If there are significant, high-Q formants UltraRes will preserve those whereas conventional, short IRs will not. Audibility also varies with the amp being used. The difference is more audible with high gain as this will excite the formants more. Low-frequency formants vary with the type of cabinet and speaker. Some cabinets have a smooth low frequency response. Others have prominent formants. The mic also has an impact. Some mics will accentuate the formants. The room also contributes if it has strong LF modes. Furthermore some people like to capture an IR using a tube power amp. In this case you WILL get a significant formant at the low-frequency resonance of the speaker. A conventional IR will not capture that as the Q of the formant will exceed the resolution of the IR. UltraRes will capture that formant as UltraRes has 8 times the low-frequency resolution. Those who claim they can't hear a difference are correct. They can't. It's nothing to be ashamed of. But because they can't doesn't mean others also cannot. I can clearly hear the difference but I've trained myself on what to listen for."