help me decide on a new cab setup

pthuriot

New Metal Member
Sep 7, 2003
posted this over in the fractal audio forums as well--

the main point: Live i would typically play with a mesa over sized 4x12 and a isp vector SL cab (with an axeFx ultra as the preamp), but i've gotten tired of lugging the large setup around with me, so i'm selling it all off and downsizing to something like a 2x12.

i play metal (obviously. ;) low end, 7 or 8 strings, very high gain with emgs, but will switch into cleans and synth sounds here and there. During practices, it will have to be clear and loud to carry over the drums. and it would really need a clear, tight bass response. live will be more about the on stage monitoring and using the PA system, etc.

Money really isn't *that* much of the issue. more importantly it's all about the tone/ quality and portability/ ease. i'd prefer to not have to have that many different things i have to carry and setup as well.

Currently i'm considering either a fractal atomic amp setup (a cab and power/ or powered cab) or a port city wave 2x12 or 2x12 OS. i don't have the option of "auditioning" either/ anything--it would just be a "cross your fingers and hit the buy button" type of thing.

So what would *YOU* pick as the setup (or anything else--as i'm completely open to different ideas). with a fractal setup, would you get the power amp, or a powered cab? if an atomic cab, the straight cab or the wedge? with the port city, do i go for the OS or just standard, what type of speakers (if not the standard v30s)? or is there a "more suitable" cab that you would recommend?

any input, advice, help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance,