Help me choose a cab :)

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hey!

I'm a bit tired of IRs and I actually regret to not working with a real cab anymore (well, I use real cabs sometimes but I don't own one anymore) plus I got some good mics lately and I wanna experiment.

As my place is small, I'd rather like a 2x12. Maybe 1x12??? My budget is around 400 euros so I think to buy one from used market. To be perfectly honest I have not a precise idea of what I'm looking for tone wise, I just want a good sounding cab. I wouldn't buy an Orange one tho. What cab would you recommand me?

Thanks!!

Oh yeah, Metal exclusively!

Ideally, I'd like to spend less than 400€. I saw this Randall cab. I've never heard a Randall cab tho! A used EVHIII 2x12 would be pretty ideal. I used a Harley Benton V30 two years ago; great for the price but I'm looking for a better stuff.

Never owned one, but all the impulses of every Randall cab I've ever used have sounded incredibly shrill and harsh in the highs with the exception of their iso cab.

Exact, I've never liked any Randall IR but at the same time, we dont really know how they've been made (at least those I have) so...
Jarkko, the HB is pretty good for the price indeed but I'd like to try another stuff. I've always worked with V30 and that EVHIII is loaded with Celestion G12H on the anniversary series - I remember having liked these on some shootouts - or Celestion Heritage for the regular series... A bit too much expensive to buy new tho :/

Other options would be great :)

i really like my orange 2x12, although it can be difficult to mic due to the color of the grill cloth. mesa, engl, and fryette/older vht all come to mind as top quality 2x12s. i would personally look for one of these used.

would not recommend any randall cabs.

the genz benz Gflex 2x12 is pretty cool. Very punchy sounding. I haven't been able to compare it with any other cab though.

if you don´t exactly know how you want it to sound, start with a 2x12 and a separate speaker. here´s how i did it:

play the box as is.
exchange one of the speakers with the third.
sell the worse.
are you happy? keep it. do you miss something? get another speaker and repeat.

that lead me to playing Eminence Wizard and Red Fang (!) in a closed, stuffed 2x12. think outside the box :)