• MARSHALL MR1960AX

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

fabz

www.respawn-inc.com
Aug 24, 2004
Heidelberg/Germany
www.respawn-inc.com
I'm in the market for a new cab. Bought a 1x12 Stilletto recently mainly for rehearsal. Now i'm thinking about buying another Cab (2x12 or 4x12) for live use and / or studio.

I've got a 6505 and a 6505 PLUS.

The only other cab ive used live which wasnt my own which sounded good was one of those Line 6 Valve series cabs, sounded really good with the Dual rec. Worst ive played with was a Marshall cab, dunno which exact model but it was all bass and had no clarity whatsoever!

I've only ever used 3 different 4x12's. I started out with a Fender M-80 series ( Grey carpet and total junk ) then I got a Marshall 1960B and it was great. I sold the Marshall and ended up using a Mesa Traditional sized 4x12 for a few years. I didn't like the Mesa that much. Since I got the VHT PittBull 2x12 combo I'm loving it. It's tight as a 9 year old and has more low end than Oprah circa 1995. I haven't tried it with the gain super high and the volume cranked up with a low tuned fiddle yet though. I'm trying to scrape up a deal for some new p'ups for my hard-tail though and I'll soon own a house I'm gonna sound-proof so it's just a matter of time. In E standard it pumps GREAT thrash tones. I'm too lazy to haul a 4x12 anymore. I have a cool '90s Ampeg 2x12 to pair with my PittBull if the VHT P50s' ever came up short though.

FWIW - Most of the good bands in Columbus use the Mesa over-sized cabs and while they sound good they're way ice picky straight on and the whole Dual Rec / 5150 sound is getting pretty tired to me. When 9 out of 10 players are all tuned to C or lower, using EMGs into a Dual Rec or a 5150 and pushing oversized Mesa cabs playing the same style of music with very similar tones it kinda takes away all the magic of that sound. Especially after 5 years of it.

Only way to know what cab to get is to take your shit to someplace that has 'em all and hook it up in person.