Best cab for Dual Rec?

Sep 2, 2010
Hey guys, im going to be coming into the possession of a Dual Rectifier (3 channel) head and am wondering everyone's opinion on a good cab to pair with it (for recording). I currently have a Marshall MF400 4x12 cab but i am thinking of getting a 1x12 or 2x12 cab for bedroom tracking. Also, im considering getting an attenuator as well for volume reasons (apartment). Thoughts?

I currently have a Marshall MF400 4x12 cab but i am thinking of getting a 1x12 or 2x12 cab for bedroom tracking. Also, im considering getting an attenuator as well for volume reasons (apartment). Thoughts?

I don't like attenuators 'cos they flatten the tone.

For serious uses you need the amp roaring like a bastard to get the speakers moving -- half the mojo comes from the effect it has on the sound when the speakers are driven to the point where they are not fully under control.

For non-critial usage just turn down the Master Volume.

The dimensions of the speaker cab have an effect on the tone. A 1x12 or 2x12 won't sound like a 4x12. Different cabs sound radically different, even with the same speakers in them. The best cab is the one you like the sound of. Mesa cabs are pretty much the go-to, though.

But if it's just for low-volume practice and "notebook" recording in your bedroom, no speaker will sound at its best.

guitars_in_cabinet.jpg

Best guitar cab out there.

cool, i kinda figured it was best to pair it with the matching cab. and yeah, the Mode 4 has 100 watt celestions, not V30's. Do you guys think its even necessary then to buy a smaller cab or should i just mic the MF400? Im not going for stellar, pro quality recording per say, but my alternative for tracking is a pocket pod and i'd prefer a more responsive, tighter tube tone than those digital sims...i just cant seem to find one that sounds that great. This is mostly for demoing stuff but at the same time, to get better at tracking from an amp (eq's, mic placement, etc) vs direct in amp sims. plus, one would assume even a non ultra pushed tube amp will end up coming out better than a pocket pod tone (but i am a noob so what do i know? haha). Would a tube screamer help as well? I've never owned one and it seems as though it's a staple of most rigs. You guys are awesome btw, thanks for all the feedback.

Do you guys think its even necessary then to buy a smaller cab or should i just mic the MF400?

Just mic the cab you've got. Cabs have a major influence on the sound, so only change for tonal reasons.

Would a tube screamer help as well?

Yes. Use with the "drive" turned down low. It will tighten everything up (Recto low end is particularly loose), and you'll be able to nail searing overdrive tones beyond what you could dial in from the amp alone. It's a must.

Other distortion stomps can be similarly used for different flavour, but not all are any good -- the Tube Screamer is a reliable standard to start with, and experiment later if you feel the need.

plus, one would assume even a non ultra pushed tube amp will end up coming out better than a pocket pod tone

My finances went tits-up a few years back and I had to downgrade from my Boogie to a POD Pro. It was a very distressing time. :erk:

I confidently predict you will find the Recto a far more satisfying experience, even at low volume. :D