Free amp sims...MAYBE??

JohnnyMcFly

May 11, 2009
Hey guys I started a thread over at GAM, and, sorry not trying to make people move from this forum, just that GAM was more suited for this particular topic...Anyways, I started a thread over at GAM to try and get the commercial guys to release an original head for free, some would call it a challenge from ABG, Its not, its more of an opportunity for their developers to show us what they got so to speak. We all know that all the big companies have some pretty amazing and talented developers. I always wondered what type of head they would design if they were allowed to design the way we do at ABG...Without restrictions, and without the market dictating what they could develop and what they could not...If there was no rules, what would the guys at NI develop, what would IK develop, Peavey, TH1? Personally, I would love to see what these very talented set of developers would do?

After many conversations with these guys, I realized that in the past I have been harsh in some of my comments about their apparent lack of innovation. In a conversation I had last week, one of them said.. Basically, "You never really give us a fair shake, we can only develop what we are allowed to develop, I would love to have the opportunity that you Nick and Lepou have."
Meaning, we don't have restrictions and bosses telling us what we can and can't do.
So, in essence all these guys are engineers, which means that Innovation is a natural thing they do, but, the buying public only ever wants a new Marshall, Fender, or, Boogie. So, what chance do these guys have to develop anything else? Its not fair for me to say they don't innovate, they never have the chance to show that side of their development skills. I believe as I said over at GAM, that given the opportunity, any one of these developers could turn the SIM world upside down...

So, I thought, lets give them that opportunity, lets ask those companies in a very public way, to match us with a free ORIGINAL Giveaway head. I have heard back from one company, they are in, but, they asked me to let them make that announcement..So if you get the chance, please go over and voice your thoughts, support, or your opposition to it. Of course that would mean that you don't like the idea of having some of the greatest SIM builders in the world, showing off their talents and giving you a free sim...?

ABG will be releasing Preampus Catharsis as our contribution...Ryan I said I would wait till the right time to release that...This is the right time...

Here's the thread guys...
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7181&p=43102#p43102

KM

I don't think there's "only ever" for a good & free Mesa Boogie simulation. No one has done any free (or good) Mesa amp sims. Actually, the only Mesa simulation at all, that I can think of, is the one in Revalver. But it's not that good, plus Revalver is fucking expensive compared to the free amp sims that we have now :D

Ken - I hope they take you up on your challenge and do look into creating something original and by that you know I mean something that is not trying to make me sound just like someone else. A lofty goal, but a good one none the less. Sometimes musicians and those involved in it's production need to be reminded that it is an art form, not necessarily always meant to be so genre specific, so held to the standards of sameness. While I love creating some serious Marshall or Mesa damage, I also like music synthesis and sound creation - taking a waveform and making it into something original, something different. I'd love for the tools I utilize help me along that route, to give me the flexibility to surprise myself.

Keep up the great work.

Guys I am so hoping these guys take me up on this...

Tornio...G-SPOT is its 3rd name already...The chances of me changing it again are very very slim. Besides I am not loading video drivers, so, it is not in direct competition...

Jind, yep looking forward to releasing G-SPOT, and as far as Ryan creating IR cabs for his Catharsis Head, I don't know I have not asked him yet...
KM

Thanks Mathias,
Forefront, it would be amazing if everyone got involved, heck you never know, this could be the pivotal moment some of us have been waiting for. Changes the competition from best Marshall sim to something new and interesting...
The rate at which innovation in this area happens is akin to Plumbing innovations! According to the Canadian government, every 1 year of computer technology changes, is the equivalent to 25 years in plumbing, 5 years in Automotive, etc.. I tried to again find that report, I had read that a few years ago, so, Sorry I could not find it, but it was at the HRDC website somehwhere..here in their thousands of documents..http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/home.shtml

If anyone cares to look for it...
KM

I'm a little confused, I thought Alien Connections created Revalver, and Peavey bought it, adding some of their own stuff to mkIII...is there a connection between Alien Connections and Peavey that I don't know about?

The Peavey guy said in that thread:
In ReValver, Peavey is modeling amplifiers that WE designed and manufacture...We do have other sims in ReValver, but they are a bonus, people expect certain models.

Revalver didn't even have any sims of Peavey amps until mkIII am I wrong? 0_o

Michael L.. I believe went with Revalver to Peavey, but I don't really know the whole story...He's part of the ABG group on Facebook, you can just ask him..He's a super nice guy...

Also Morgray, post some of your thoughts on that thread if you can, or have any thoughts on the topic...Like I am saying to everyone...When was the last time you guys had all the major players centralized and focussed on one thread at once?

KM

I think if nothing else, the increasing number of awesome free plugins is going to put a little fire under the butt of the major developers to step up their game, or maybe even let the developers they already have step up their own game, rather than telling them to play duck duck goose like a pro.

I don't think there's "only ever" for a good & free Mesa Boogie simulation. No one has done any free (or good) Mesa amp sims. Actually, the only Mesa simulation at all, that I can think of, is the one in Revalver. But it's not that good, plus Revalver is fucking expensive compared to the free amp sims that we have now :D

there is one in guitar rig and in logic studio 9 and to put it simple... they suck

Line 6 has several Recto sims.
The Diamond Plate amp model (Triple Recto sim) is actually really amazing if you learn how to use it properly.
And honestly, I've been able to get some tones out of Flathill (Recto sim from Revalver) that I liked. It's just all in the tweaking.
Granted it doesn't sound the same as the real Recto, but it can sound good, which is what matters ultimately I think.

Ken, that sounded a fabulous idea. Can I give a suggestion for a future model? You know how people complain how some presets don't sound like they should or that they sound like shit? Unlike with MIDI, you have different variables on the incoming signal and if you would add a small box with explaining things.

- Where the volume knob should be (use an input level meter and an arrow that points how loud you should aim the input volume)
- Guitar type (bass, guitar, baritone guitar)
- A picture of the type of pickup you should use (a single coil, humbucker or other) and a box that shows should it be (active or passive)
- What the pickup position should be (neck, bridge or other)
- Where the tone position should be (like numbers from 1-10)
- What type of playing is the tone primarily meant for (maybe checkboxes with things like sweeping, plucking, to be used with a wah, rhythm guitar, solo lead, clean tone, hi-gain tone... etc)

Something like this (notice the leet shoppin' skillz):

leadgtr.jpg

And the thing with these is that they don't do ANYTHING to the sound. They are just a kind of "readme" for the preset that what kind of a gear they were designed to be used with.

Ken, that sounded a fabulous idea. Can I give a suggestion for a future model? You know how people complain how some presets don't sound like they should or that they sound like shit? Unlike with MIDI, you have different variables on the incoming signal and if you would add a small box with explaining things.

- Where the volume knob should be (use an input level meter and an arrow that points how loud you should aim the input volume)
- Guitar type (bass, guitar, baritone guitar)
- A picture of the type of pickup you should use (a single coil, humbucker or other) and a box that shows should it be (active or passive)
- What the pickup position should be (neck, bridge or other)
- Where the tone position should be (like numbers from 1-10)
- What type of playing is the tone primarily meant for (maybe checkboxes with things like sweeping, plucking, to be used with a wah, rhythm guitar, solo lead, clean tone, hi-gain tone... etc)

Something like this (notice the leet shoppin' skillz):

leadgtr.jpg

And the thing with these is that they don't do ANYTHING to the sound. They are just a kind of "readme" for the preset that what kind of a gear they were designed to be used with.
do you want a hug too? :p